1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too good to wave.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bassin, Apr 19, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

around here if you see a couple guys in a pickup after 5pm... it's a side job (most likely). About the only ones you see during the day (9-5) are the ones doing it for a living. I'm friendly with all of them, but I always have that little bit of a grudge knowing that I'm paying out taxes, insurance, payroll, yadda yadda... and they are just making a quick buck to pocket, so to speak.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It seems to be scrubbier they look, the stinkier the eye we get. All 3 trucks fuel up at same place in the morning and I think its a jealousy thing. I started with used equipment and magnetic signs too, but I was always too busy to worry about somebody else.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've been seeing alot of guys out there. they will have a nice trailer, trimmer on a rack, trimmer line spool on the side of the trailer, and other commercial company looking stuff yet they will have a residential john deere or husqvarna tractor mower on the trailer. i dunno if they are just starting out or if they are just mowing on the side.

1 thing i have noticed and i don't get in my area. noone advertises at all. not a single company other than me. i put an ad in the newspaper and i'm the only one in there. i think everyone and their brother just cuts all the yards of all the people they know in town. it's all word of mouth. there are no signs other than the signs on their trailers and trucks. no fliers put out. nothing.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, no marketing money. That JD "L" series busted the budget.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

All this time I've been blowing kisses.

Am I doing it wrong?

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nice post right here bassin. It rubs me the wrong way a bit too, cuz I wasn't raised that way. (raised on an Iowa farm by depression-era parents) I waive at all competitors. I also tell my guys to do the same. This is professional courtesy. Not respecting your competitors is bad karma IMO.

I agree, we are in a fairly tight area and I would rather be friendly with the competition.
    Good luck to all this season
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

only do that to the cute females otherwise it may make the guys feel a bit awkward. :nono:
  9. Green Resistor

Green Resistor LawnSite Member
    from USA

Train the grass to mow itself. Group hug.
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I got the stink eye the other day. Don't hate me because my lawns look... better than yours. Don't tick me off because your customers and the entire area will get advertised to relentlessly.