1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too good to wave.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bassin, Apr 19, 2013.

1. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

When I started working for a smallish company a few years ago that did mostly high end neighborhoods the guys I worked for didn't wave to anyone, would talk **** about the competitors, and were just pretty unprofessional all around...except for in their marketing I suppose. I was happy to find out when I started up on my own that the rest of the company's around here for the most part, aren't like that. I always wave and smile if I have a free hand, or even a head nod will do. Gotta have a little respect, after all, everyone else is just like you.
  2. DirtyPlastic

DirtyPlastic LawnSite Member

I have never been waved at or talked to by anyone in lawn care. I dont think anyone knows what i do tho. It just looks like im a dude driving around with a zeroturn. There is this one guy who probably hates me tho, I saw his guys leave a house and the lawn looked like complete ****, clippings / clumps everywhere and in the driveway. I stopped and talked to the 80 year old lady and got the job + cleaned up the mess.
  3. Gold Leaf Lawnscapes

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes LawnSite Member

I started advertising hard this year and there is 1 main company in this town, so he doesn't need to advertise much at all, so when I started he called me up and wanted me to subcontract for him. I said I appreciated the offer, but I wanted to create my own reputation, not one for someone else. I did offer to send hardscape work his way if he wanted to refer me when he got booked. Since then no more waving and every type of advertising I did he started doing to the point of wherever I have signs or cards, he has them right on the side of mine. There is plenty of work to go around, but he is now lowballing just to get the jobs. I think its childish but maybe that's just me.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Why do I picture this guy going all Clint Eastwood on the competition? "Get off my lawn" with a rifle in hand. :laugh:
  5. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

I was driving from a clients house, and got stopped at a red light. Well a guy with a with a homeowner mower squeezed into a tiny trailer passed me, the entire time he was giving me "that look" I just gave him a nod.
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Just laugh man!
  7. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

usually its a mind your own business kind of mentality round here. I know a handful people that are good folks at best. The rest like to run their mouths (& they likely aren't the owner) One I am close with to the point where if I get a call from the town they're in I'll get in touch with them before doing anything and sometimes we do some projects here and there.

Couple weeks ago I had some "big boy" pull up next to one of my best clients and start raggin' on my truck (Frontier) and the fact I had my 36" in the bed, no trailer as I didn't need it. "get a real truck you stupid schmuck" and sped off....while my client was standing right there as we were discussing a project. She called him a ****ing ***hole.
  8. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

When my family moved from Michigan to Florida we were shocked that nobody waved but rather gave us the ugliest glaring look like "Who are u"? It didn't take us long to figure out that this is such a tourist state where you hardly ever get to know anyone outside of business sorts and after 27 years I still feel like I don't know a soul. When we vacation back north it sounds like everyone knows everyone & most never leave. Smaller towns must make all the difference I guess.
  9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

i do wave at anyone with mower and trailer, its pretty easy around here to figure out who's doing it legit and who's doing for cash after work, or they got laid off and started cutting lawns to make money, while they collect unemployment. there's a lot hacks around, that will even signs on their trailers, but then their trimmer looks like its from the early 90's has no guard on it, and has duct tape for a grip and the 8" cone they have is tipped over on its side, its kinda comical. but i still give them the wave, or you can tell which guy just got into it, because he has a brand new truck, all his equipment is either homeowner quality or 20 year old commercial stuff, that looks rough. the guys that have been in it for a while, already know, that a shiny new truck, won't help make the lawn look better, or help them spread more mulch or really do anything better. they all know its the operator and equipment. the ones that are doing it legit wave back, the ones doing it illegally or that are jealous of my setup because i work hard, are the low ballers and they don't like to wave back.
  10. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason you just wave at me with one finger sticking up...... :confused: weird :waving: