1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Hard on Chemlawn???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Splicer, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think???
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

it's going to be even more fun now...when they call u every week looking for you to sign up again with them.
  3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Give 'em hell.
    You want results; not a one-size-fits-all shot of N.

They are always hiring here. It's good to know the chemical guy has some experience:dizzy:

I have a customer that won't be happy when they come back in the fall.
    Yard is being overrun by some kind of sedge, the grass is so thin that I can mow 4" off the top at full speed.
    I call customer to let her know about the thin, weak turf and she in turn calls TG and relays my fert. recommendations. TG says we'll get to it(not sure what)..... Next time out at customers prop, there is a new TG flag from the day before; but I see no fert. granules. I doubt they ran out there with non-standard liquid in the truck:confused:

Cust won't let me handle the ferts because TG is already doing it:hammerhead:
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Too hard? No, you got the standard run around. The applicator and the person you were talking to are poorly connected. They are a public marketing company first, and a lawn care company second. You are a figure. They can make a lawn green but I have seen that, depending on the applicator, their weed and grub controls are less than acceptable.
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

how many customers of any company expects a one-shot application to kill every weed AND prevent any other weeds from ever growing??

what kind of weeds are your problem?? many weeds will need several apps to get decent control over.

weed controls will work on actively growing weeds....the heat may have slowed the growth considerably.

with the warm soil temps and assuming you are watering the turf...this is perfect conditions for weed seeds in the soil to germinate.

What is your watering schedule? Light shallow watering will encourage weed pressure.

All I'm sayin is lets look at the whole picture here.

Now, the fact that you called them 21 days after initial application and they told you you lawn was due for its next app is very concerning. Why they feel the need to fert every 4 weeks (actually i know why they do this)
  6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'd drop you as a customer ASAP, you sound like a real pain in the ass. Expecting your lawn to be weed free after a couple visits (1st one probably only a pre-emergent) after your lawn has thinned from last year's drought is pretty unrealistic. Yes, after they sprayed for broadleaf weeds you should have definately seen many weeds dieing. I understand your frustration there. But, you will see many new weeds coming up during the year because your lawn is so thin. Get it reseeded in the fall-this will be a huge help.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

If the first treatment they gave you was a pre-emergent then they should have told you that. The pre-emergent will only get the grassy weeds. I always make sure my customers know what I am putting down and what to expect. The spring weed control should have gotten rid of 90 to 100% of the weeds. If they went out to early in the year that may be a problem as to why they had weeds germinating. I don't start spraying up here until the middle of May. We also had a very hot and dry summer last year and a lot of the lawns that TruGreen took care of last year were thin and I still had no problem. My lawns were not thin because I d not apply fertilizer in the middle of summer unless the customer has irrigation and none of mine do. Every lawn I sprayed this spring had almost 100% kill. I use either Lesco Momentum Fx or Three Way, depending on what weeds are in the lawn. I have just been noticing a few weeds starting to show up in the lawns I am taking care of which will be taken care of with my fall weed control.
    No I do not believe you were unreasonable.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I don't believe you were unreasonable either. I have heard many stories about how they promised the world, and couldn't't, or wouldn't't deliver on their promise. It is always amazing to me to hear on the phone the story of the terrible weed packed lawn that according to what TGCL has told people will "take some time to come around". The people are frustrated & fet up. I assume the lawn is going to be filled with tons of crap, get out there and find easy to control weeds. One app. and most are gone??? Sometimes I think I should quit spending money on advertising, and just follow around the TGCL guys, and hit up their unhappy customers.:drinkup:

They truly are a marketing company with lawn care on the side...at least in my area.
  9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I re-read your note and Chem Lawn said that the April treatment was to kill the broadleaf weeds. They obviously didn't do that on their 1st visit-and on the 2nd visit and on the 3rd visit. You are not unreasonable, however you do remind me of a customer of mine that calls me everytime he sees 2 or 3 weeds in his lawn.
  10. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

i try to emphasize the word "control" and remind them it's ongoing thru the season and we are not promising elimination. i also make it clear i am aware they can and should expect a measurable difference after we apply the control products............seems like the sooner we have this conversation the less problems I have going forward........and then my phone rings