Too High on leaf removal??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, Dec 6, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Had a call last night for leaf removal.
    I told him $30 per hour per man and the average cost in your neighborhood was $150 to $200. 2-3 hrs. work w/ 2 guys

he was freaked out, he said that I only paid $110 last time and that he could find the other guy (well duh!)

I also told him that I already did 3 jobs on his street and he could go look.

He said he would give me a call back.

any way I know I am cheap compared to other states... but I AM sticking to my price - No jobs oh, well its cold out anyway!

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Coach-you should have put the guy in a full nelson! I don't think your prices are too high, but I guess it depends on the area where you live. I know a couple guys in Ohio and Pa, who also have a hard time selling their leaf service because of the conditions of the local market-I won't go there, but you know what I'm talking about.

3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

LEt him find the other guy! If the "other guy" is stupid enough to do it that cheap, let him! Other guy might be a kid too & not have the investment in equipment that we do. Personally, I hate leaves! I make more mowing with less effort. I don't touch leaves for less than $45 per man hour + dump fees. If they don't like it they can find "another guy"!

If they are too lazy to do it themselves, they ought to be prepared to PAY for someone else to do it. What are we running? A business or a charity?

Mike

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That clown did you a BIG favor by freaking out beforehand then when you handed him the bill IMO.

5. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

Yep--better to find out ahead of time! Screen your clients very carefully!

Better to do nothing than to work for free!

6. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

im in ohio and charge 125 for first hour 75 and hour after that. well htats how i base my estimates on. havent got to many complaints. usuallly the people that call me for leave removal already tried to do some there self and saw that they didnt have the equipment for it. so they understand the fairly high price

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if he was happy with the other guy, then why is he calling you??????

8. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Those kind are always looking for someone cheaper.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yea, that's the answer i always give them.

if they say that X was diong it cheaper I ask why they are calling me.
    it's usually followed by " they were unreliable" or some other problem.

and i say "well you get what you pay for"...........

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yep, Went out Saturday and priced a leaf job. Walked the property, got my price together, Bam $600.00...........got the job over a the other guy because of the sorry job he done last time. He was alot cheaper than what i quoted....Don't happen often but when it does, I gain a customer from that point on.

Stick to your :gunsfirin