Too high?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quickcuts, Apr 1, 2005.

1. quickcuts

quickcuts LawnSite Member

I have a question about a job I did an estimate on. Maybe some of you guys who have been doing this longer can help me out. I do this estimate for this lady's house for 95/week for mowing, edging, clean up, ya know the whole package. Her yard is huge though, I mean with two mowers it would take at least an hour and a half to mow, then there was extensive weedeating all around her property, and about 1000 ft of edging to do. She said she was interested in using us this summer, I thought great. Then she calls me up this morning and tells me my price is too high and they are going to use someone else. I'm thinking, "good luck finding someone who will do it for less." Did I really bid too high or does this lady just not understand that my equipment isn't free and my guys don't work for free? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a little vague quick. How big is the property? Are the 2 mowers push mowers or 60s?

3. quickcuts

One is a 52 toro hydro, one is a 48 john deere.

4. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

you didnt tell how much you bided for. so how can i tell if your to expensive or not. any way you are probly better off with out the job. you will make more by not being there

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

he said 95/week.

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

So what are we lookin at here. an acre? 1.5 acres?

7. quickcuts

1.5 acres is the size

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't sound too high to me...you're talking 3 man hours of mowing, PLUS trimming and all that. I'd have gone even higher. That's why I stick to the sub-10k yards, the large property owners feel like there should be some 'cap' on mowing prices.

9. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping LawnSite Member

not saying your price is to high at all, the little details of trimming and edging affect the price as much as size, but been awhile since i've used just wb's for a job but does 3 man hrs for 1.5 ac sound a little high? maybe since i've been using z riders for a several yrs now i've lost touch with the extra time of wb's.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 man hours to do 1.5 acres??? Kind of long don't cha think???