Too @#$% Hot!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Gave up at 2pm today. 92 degrees and 73 degree dew point. Now I know to some of you southern boys that this is a cool day...but to us northern's downright HOT!

I knew it was going to be hot this week so I picked up a 5 gallon water cooler and mounted to the trailer, I think I drank 3 maybe 4 gallons today. Had two more lawns to knock out but felt a bit woosey so figured I'd call it a day and finish up tomorrow when the temps are supposed to be back into the 70's. Wimp? Yeah, maybe...but at least I'll live to see tomorrow as I don't know what would have happened if I continued.

Not sure how you guys in the south do it, I guess you kind of get used to the weather you live in as -20 below temps don't bother me a bit...but these HOT temps get me. Hope all had a good day in the field!

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Was the same here today, just took alittle longer lunch break today. Been drinking lots of water also.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Betcha them Cold Beers'll go down nice & easy tonight Buck...LOL.

Joe... :drinkup:
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Had one already and fixing to get up and get me another... :D :drinkup:

Too bad beer doesn't do much for hydration, but at least it helps make you forget how hot it is.

Nick, figured you'd even had it a little warmer out there. But this is warm enough.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Just 92 degrees and you wimped out? :D Seriously you did the right thing, I just checked our temp, its 98 in the shade. Getting to hot is very dangerous.,take care.
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain my friend. Just last week I suffered slight heat exhaustion ....funny thing is I had drank gallons of water. Too much water is bad (i know that sounds wrong) but it flushes all the salt out of your system....What I do now is this and it has made a big difference. I pack a cooler with water and gatorade. I will drink a bottled water after one or two props then drink a gatorade and switch back and forth. The gatorade puts back the sodium and potassium you need to get thruogh those hot days. Also dont wear water proof boots....your feet get hot and cause you to over heat...I know heat goes up but it makes a big difference atleast to me it does. i dont put coolers on the trailer I take an ice chest full of liquids with me in the cab of the truck. Also put a towel in the cooler and wrap it around your neck in the afternoon in the heat of the day. Others here may have a different point of view but I have found that this works best for me...Hope this helps
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Tripple Ground was heavy and sticky today..............
  8. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

It doesn't get any better you just learn to deal with the misery. Try having 100% humidity with no rain + 96+ degree weather there are days here I feel like I could swim thriugh the air. The 40-50 degree winters make up for it though.
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing, just gotta be careful of overheating yourself. gatorade, and water. sodas do nothing to help one retain water, and salt. wearing a wide brimmed hat, keeping well hydrated, and not overdoing it is the way to go.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Man you are talking about every day here. We just soldier on and drink the gatorade and water.

For those not used to it. buy techinical hiking shirts. They wick the moisture away and facilitate cooling. Big wide brimmed hat. Use the Blower as an AC periodically. and I know I will get a lot of flack for this, but NO AC while working.

Ac while working shuts down your sweat glands and shocks your brain.

Have not run the AC yet in my house. Will a couple of days just to keep it operational, but I find that if you acclimate totally then you don't really notice how hot it is.