Too late crabgrass is up, now what?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Triple R, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Yesterday while out doing maintenance accounts I noticed crabgrass in one of the nieghboring lawns. It is currently in the 2 tiller stage. I hope to finish with preemergent apps by Friday but was wondering what should I do if the crabgrass goes beyond the 3 tiller stage? Most of the lawns I do are Fescue but some are Bermuda. Drive doesn't work in my area. I was thinking of maybe adding some MSMA to the Dimension or do you have any suggestions? I know I will be dealing with this problem throughout the season as I pick up more weed control accounts and would like to know what options I have to deal with the crabgrass. I know I should have finished pre-m by mid Febuary which is the general rule around here.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A strong shot of dimension will kill into the 2 tiller stage. Drive will not work on plants in 3 and 4 tiller stage. That may be why you said it doesn't work in your area. Try Acclaim Extra. IT wiorks very well, better than MSMA in my opinion.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I had good results on mature crabgrass last year with Drive combined with MSMA, each at 1/2 the normal rate.

Never saw that documented anywhere, but it seemed worth a try.