1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

too late for aeration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

isn't it too late to be doing aerations? i saw scott's out doing some. i am in southern ohio and the temps have been around 45 to 30 at nights.

if those holes don't heal before the cold winter can't the roots be damaged by the winter weather?
  2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard/read aeration is good anytime the ground isnt frozen. We did some today in the rain.
  3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I was told that now was not the best time. although the ground may not be frozen, it does in fact allow cold air into the root zone, and diminishing the insulation effect of the soil. It also serves little to now purpose as most turf and microbes have gone dormant by this time, and have no use for additional oxygen.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Aerating in rain, or anytime ground is wet is not good, as this will hurt soil structure....
  5. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

dry ground=1/4 inch plugs wet ground=2 1/2inch plugs............ im going with the wet ground. my 2 cents
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Southern Ohio -- I say no prob. Never knew of a Kentucky bluegrass lawn being damaged due to cold weather. Last April, it was 81 degrees, and guys were out aerating. Three days later........we had wind chills in the lower teens. No damage. My two cents worth.:usflag:

7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Tomorrow i'm doing my last one of the season.
  8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Finished last one today!!!:cool2:
    Also did last lime today. also a happy moment.
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Greens, tees, fairways with little turf cover? No way. The turf will suffer dessication around the hole. This is results in an unsightly brown area around every hole due to the turf drying out in the cold winter winds, should there be lack of snow cover. Home lawn 2" or above? Anytime. Here's my little hairbrained theory, for what it's worth. Those holes are more likely to fill up with moisture, be it rain or snow. The natural freeze thaw cycle of winter and spring will allow for soil fracturing, loosening the soil where it counts, down in the root zone. Again, my 2 cents.
  10. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO