Too late for newspaper ads?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CLEANCUT007, Jun 20, 2008.

1. CLEANCUT007

CLEANCUT007 LawnSite Member

what do you guys think? i am looking to start marketing a little harder to try to build more for this year and next. how much responce are you guys getting if you are running ads now?
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I've learned my lesson on newspaper ads. Usually get just enough business to pay for the ad, and that is it. All i usually got were "tire kickers", wanting the cheapest price to have their ghetto shack mowed for $5.
  3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

ya i think by now everyone found there guy, u could put up yard signs on ur nice lawns to build ur reputation.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I added 30 yards this week! Your in springfield which is were I mow you should be picking them up pretty easily right now! I am picking me up another Encore hydro walk in the morning just for these resedential yards! If you do run an add use penny power not the the local paper!
  5. CLEANCUT007

CLEANCUT007 LawnSite Member

what do you use to market rebel?

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

A few were referrals! But most of these came off of my sign on the trailer with a phone number on it! I had two calls this morning durring the rain on my cell phone and they were behind me in traffic!
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

My local service paper ads kept me super busy, well over 40 hours a week, up until last week. Basically a dead run - I could barely keep up often working 7 days a week. Aerations, rototillings, dethatchings and a few renovations. Basically spring services. My experience has been fairly favorable in running newspaper ads for all my services offered except . . . weekly & biweekly lawn mowings.

I just lost one of my weekly better priced lawns for it's size today. A neighbor is going to do it for cheap from now on - lost his job as a trucker blah blah. If she calls me back later in the season and it's foot high like it was on the first cut I will be $60 minimum. Yup she found my ad in the paper because the $20 & $25 cut guys are too busy to show up. She was happy to find someone reliable etc. . . . until someone cheaper and reliable shows up.

With a few exceptions the mowing clients I have generally picked up from newspaper ads have been basically been drudging the bottom of the barrel. Looking for cheap cuts - "I only paid Larry Lawnmower $25 last year" - "the other guy quoted me $20 on the phone but hasn't showed up" . . they make an appointment for a cut and I show up and the neighbor kid is out there getting paid $5 . . . .etc.

Quite frankly I'm seriously considering not offering mowings as a service. The drive time between customers places. . . gas . . . time spent . . . the gross is rather low for me. Last week I did a dethatch & aeration for below my normal hourly rate, did it for cheaper than I should of. I camped out there for 3 hours but I didn't chase, burn up $30 in gas to eight different places . . unload . . . trim mow and blow etc. I realized I did better pulling my price back on a service that takes 3 hours vs. driving all over town for $35 cuts.
  8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I just ran an add in our local paper for the next 6 weeks. 2 weeks have gone by, but so far, no calls. Ouch! I think I will get at least one, because the weather is starting to get hotter, which means that people may realize that they don't want to mow their lawns. I'm hoping that people will call me about landscaping too. We'll see. I figured it was worth the try.
  9. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Took out a 5 week ad in the local newspaper...tripled my money spent on it the first 3 days it ran......I am still getting tons of calls and jobs from it....well worth the money spent.