too late for spring fert with weed preventer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

a customer of mine, a good customer would like some sort of weed preventing and fertalizer this year. I do not do this for all customers, just one. Can i use a scotts fert with weed preventer or crabgrass preventer? he also wants the lawn re-seeded. how long would i have to wait to reseed after the fertalizer.

Am i right in assuming i could not fertalize newly grown grass seedlings that are less than a month old?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It is definitely not to late to do weed prevention. A little early yet, in my opinion. I would wait until after august 15th to start seeding. That is the ideal time to do it. The way a pre emergent works is putting a chemical barrier in the soil, making seeds unable to sprout or take root. Break this barrier, and it stops working., So, yes, you should wait abrou 6-8 weeks until seeding, whcih puts you into the WORST time to seed a lawn. Wait until the end of august, then seed it. This will give you time to go and get a license so that you can do chemical applications legally. ]
    To answer your last question, always wait as long as possible before treating new lawns with chemicals. I like to give them 4-6 mowings minimum before treating with anything. Even then you have to be careful.

Good luck

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

thanks, in NJ how much is a chemical license and where do you get it from? If its a lot of money, its not worth me doing that to do it a few times per year. I dont plan to get into it hardly at all other than a couple lawns.

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

In Illinois a couple hundred per year and almost $1,000 for the insurance.