1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Late for winterizer????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboyblake, Dec 2, 2007.

1. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I dont do a whole lot of my lawns for fert, just about 15 or so.> I got my license this spring and have done a pretty good job so far....Except my timing of applications....Just got done with leaves friday then sleet and rain and ice storm saturday...So I want to put down my winterizers tomorrow while its still not snowing all the time...Its going to be 30 tomorrow but what do you guys think?? Should I wait for a 40 degree day?? I live in the north west side of illinois...There is about 3 inches of frost in the ground also...Please help as I dont know what to do guys.....Thanks in advance...
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I suggest doing what your conscience tells you to do, generally.
    If you can't rely on that, then you'll certainly learn what you can and can't do eventually from your customers!

(...I'm going to give you a break here, though, this time!)
    Wait until the snow's melted.
    And if you can't get it done before the Holidays...Forget It!
  3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Never put fertilizer on frozen ground and in my opinion it is too late for winterizer. When I speak of winterizer I am talking about a no slow release water soluble fertilizer that is usually put down around the last time the lawn is cut. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking you can make up for it in early spring. No nitrogen until mid May at the earliest.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The fertilizer will help the lawn if the ground is frozen.
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

My personal opinion is to not apply fertilizer to frozen soil. It's not good PR for the industry as a whole, and not great agronomics, either. It may represent lost revenue, but that's the breaks. I lost out on a few apps. and an aeration as well due to the weather, but that's where we work, in the weather. You have to adjust to the year and not look at the date. Maybe if the frost comes out of the ground in the next week or so.