1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too late? Help with grass sowing.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Oct 30, 2006.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

I had a bare spot (about 12' x 15') I wasn't able to do anything with until now. This past year, the crab grass covered it quite nicely, making it barely noticeable. However, as it has turned cooler, the crabgrass has obviously turned brown.

Now, I am do something with it.

Is it too late to sow seed? I live in Kentucky zone 6/7. We have had a very wet fall. Today it is 70*. It is supposed to be in the mid 50's the rest of the week.

Also, what is the best way to do it? Do I just need to scalp all the crabgrass and seed, rake the crabgrass up and seed, or rotatill it up and seed?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

For a 12' x 15' spot, if it was me, I'd just go to Lowe's and see if they had about 180 sq. ft. of sod. If you want to seed, just get the top broken up well and seed, fert., and water lightly several times a day.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

For a area that small go to your local store pick up 15 lbs of seed till it a quarter inch deep and water.
  4. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

1) It's probably to late to germinate most types, but so what? till and seed and it will germinate in the spring...

2) Of course getting the seed to match the rest of the yard might be a goal. If you installed sod in my yard it wouldn't look at all the same as bluegrass does. This would be most obvious in spring and fall. the inverse might also be true. I sod yard with a seeded bluegrass might seem different as well.

A blended seed might be the best answer...