Too late to aerate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Nov 16, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Hi,

I am in southeastern Massachusetts and a customer asked me to aerate her lawn. I believe its too late being that we are in mid November, correct?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I would not recommend that you open up the ground to be exposed to the harsh elements and later than mid-Sept. There will absolutely be zero benefits to doing this service so late in the season with the end just around the corner.

What I would do is acknowledge her request by putting her first on your list for April. :D This way she will reap all the benefits in the spring with the best looking lawn on the block. By providing this service in the early spring it will also enable her property to utilize all the essential utrients it will receive.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

There ARE guys who aerate until the gound freezes.

You COULD aerate now and then put on your winterizer fertilizer.
    The roots continue to grow until the ground freezes.

But, I'm generally with Kris on this one, if it were MY lawn, I'd want to wait until next spring.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Aerate maybe not.....overseeding yes.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

In Massachusets?

I think I'd leave the overseeding to the Pro's down in the Carolina's this time of year.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:(
    I missed the boat this year in Missouri. I did aerations in sept, and 1st week of October, but quit after the first week, because of cold weather. It has been in 70s all of october, and still in november. I wish I could have known that. I could have done a lot more aerations. Just have to get em in the spring.

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I told her to wait till April, thanks everyone.