1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

too late to aerate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamc6, Apr 28, 2003.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me when it is too late in the season to do aeration. I am in Wisconsin (keep in mind) Or, can you aerate all year long.. If anyone has any information, please let me know. Thanks Guys!

2. IndyProCare

IndyProCare LawnSite Member
    from Indy

The only time you should not is when it is dry and hot. You could damage the root system by allowing excess heat under the surface, this is what nature protects from the sun light.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For you, I would think the latest would be 1st week of October.

It would also depend on whether you were overseeding or not. If you were, then even earlier so to give the seed time to germinate.
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is almost all Kentucky Blue Grass. I aerated all season long if some body wanted it done.

As to the dry I wouldn't do it if it was too dry because the tines would not go in far enough to do damage or go deep enough to do any good either. Too dry = hard ground.
  5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I aerated and over seeded very early March and it was still very cool, even in Georgia. Tryin to get a jump on the neighbors and set the pace, being a "Land Care Professional" and all. I have not seen any germination. I believe the seed simply rotted away.:blush:

So much for being the "Lead Dog".......for now.
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Anytime the grass is in a growing phase you can aerate.

You should only seed in the fall or spring.