Too late to cut??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Jun 13, 2003.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, This is my first year doing this on my own. I do this part time after my day job and on weekends. Last night I was cutting this lawn and I finished up around 6:30pm. The next door neighbor comes and and says that if I come back again at that hour she will call the cops. She said I interrupted her familys dinner. Again this is the neighbor. I happened to mention this the customer and they told me to ignore her. Am I doing something wromg is 6:30 to late. I do not want to cause bad blood between the neighbors but I was like give me a break.........

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

next time she comes out--you call the cops and tell them she is harassing you, and delaying your work.--Don't get mad----get even:D

3. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

If 6.30pm is withing city ordinances to run power equipment, then tell her to call a contractor, and have them insulate the house for her.:D

Or better yet, tell her

"Lady, at least you have food to eat, if I don't mow, I don't eat, my wife eats me, and my kids eat the dog"

:p

really, I sometimes wonder about those folks egos.

Whats acceptable in my book,
    start 8:00am, finish- as late as you can see (without a flashlight).

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is at all possible you could try to accomodate. If not just appologize and explain.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell her that the best you can do is, before starting a mower, knock on her door. this way, her and her family can stop eating dinner. then, as youre leaving , you can toot the horn 3 times, this will let her know they can start eating again.

6. the gravely man

the gravely man LawnSite Member

simsy71

Call the local police dept. and ask them about the noise ordanace and go from there. I would mow it the same time next week and let her call the cops and tell them she is harrassing you

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive been mowing lawns right up till 8 pm lately, and im not the only one out there that late either. sounds to me like you got a typical nut of the street..... find out the city ordinance and make sure you can legally mow then, and then just tell the lady off next time after you politely explain to her that you have to mow then.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would check your local city noise ordinances, most say quiet time is after 10:00pm. I've mowed up till dark before and no one has complained. I would just ignore her. I would let her call the cops, she will be the one looking like a idiot for calling them over interupting her supper. lmao

9. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

In the past I've mowed until dark if the weather had me behind. Most people are understanding and can see by your filthy clothes that you've been at it all day. Certain accounts in certain neighborhoods have been pushed back until the next day if I know the client has a problem with me mowing late.

Neighbors? That's a whole different ball game...there's a nut in every crowd. I had a woman who came out every week to insure that none of my grass clippings landed on her driveway. There was no way I could put a nice looking cut on my clients yard without a little overspray (which was always promptly and thoroughly blown off). Still though, every week...

I think your clients neighbor was a little out of line to complain at 6:30, most homeowners mow at that time. Best thing to do is try to be polite and professional.

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

We mow till 8:00PM here....dont care what anyone says before that time!!