Too late to get lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Stripey Lawn Care, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

When is it too late in the season to start getting business?

Unfortunately I didn't discover this sight until after February, when I read here that then is the best time to try to get contracts.

I am ready to go, got my fliers printed, equipment prepped just need to go out and present myself. I just hope that it isn't too late.

One other question, Do most contracts go month-to-month, or are they locked in for the season? I was hoping to offer customers options.

Thanks for your help!:D

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Its never to late to get your name out there....though you might have a few more clients if you would have started earlier...Pass out the fliers as soon as you can, and as many as you can. I am sure you will get a few calls.

You can offer clients any type of payment option that you want. I have clients that pay each time I mow. I dont even have to leave a bill. They get home, it looks nice, the checks in the mail. I also have clients who I bill monthly. I usually give the customer the option of what they would like to do. Makes no difference to me long as I get paid.

I have found that if a customer is billed once a month, they tend to want a few extras done here an there. Just looks better to them I guess than having to write a check once a week.:)

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Question 1 = It's never too late.

Question 2 = I always do yearly contracts. The whole point to a contract is to guarantee yourself work. Going month to month there really is no stability. :cool:

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I should have stipulated the contract thing. Poponte stated that yearly contracts garantee the work which is absolutely correct.

All my commercial accounts are yearly contracts, paid monthly, but I have no contracts for any of my residentials. I cut them year round, do fall cleanup, and plow....Have never needed a contract, and hope I never will. I like to think I can trust my customers, and would like to think they trust me.....just me I guess;)

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I dotn know about all that trust.

All my clients are going to contracts this year. Comm and Resi.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I could not agree more.

7. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

It's never to late. I picked up 5 lawns last year half way through the season. I have them all this year for the whole season, even plowed for one that was already close to my plow route. One of them refered me to their employer and now I have to give him a bid for his yard and the business' yard, each one is about 3 acres. :blob3:

I do yearly contracts with all commercial, no contract for the residentials. Just the way I do it. Good luck.

Remember good work gets you more work.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Not too late. I passed out 1200 door hangers last week and passing out about 1000 more tomorrow. April 29th will pass out another 1600 through a local radio station.

MATT

9. J & J Mowing

J & J Mowing LawnSite Member
    from KS

I pick up yards all year, in July it is 105 and people get tired
    of mowing when they get off work.
    In Sept. the kids go back to school.
    Good luck this year.
    :blob3:

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Another good point to be made, as I found out from a job we did. Check with your local consumer affairs department, you may need a contract for any work you do.

An example of that. I did a tree job for $650.00. Gave the customer the price, told her it did not include the stump, and she gave me a verbal go ahead. Completed the job, she complimented us and gave us a credit card. She stopped payment on the C.C. and decided she wanted the stump done. After I told her she had to pay extra she was pissed. She still refused to pay, so I was going to sue her. She decided she wanted to counter sue for the job not being completed. Even with proof that she originally paid me with a signed credit card receipt, because I didn't have a written contract, she did not have to pay me. I also found out that it was a violation to conduct ANY work without a WRITTEN CONTRACT. Yes, notice the ANY WORK. He was also nice enough to tell it the violation was a $750.00 fine. BUT, if I was willing to drop the suit, that he would waive the fine. Needless to say, the woman got a tree taken down for FREE!! :angry: