Too Late to Get Started?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jonathanmb1974, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Jonathanmb1974

Jonathanmb1974 LawnSite Member

Quick question, really just looking for some reassurance.

I've been doing landscaping and lawn maintenance part time with a friend for a few years now. I finally have the capital to go out on my own and work for myself. Is it too late this year to get a few possibly 10 clients, or should I wait until next season?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I would wait and buy your equip if needed in the winter when prices go down and dealers need to move inventory. If you start now you'll probably be picking up all of the PITA's that other LCO's have already dropped.

3. Desoto_Lawn_Care

Desoto_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member
    from FL

Agree with what the previous guy said. I've picked up a couple good accounts in the past week, but most calls lately have been cheapskate PITA's with bad checks and out of control yards that like to be mowed "on-call" for 15-30 bucks a mow that other LCO's have dropped. Right now I'm focusing on my loyal and referral customers and saving money for commercial equipment next year.

4. Chris "Greenville"

Chris "Greenville" LawnSite Member

Desoto_Lawn_Care, I noticed that you use the TB 50" ZRT for your business. Thats what I just bought to get started. How is holding up for you? How many hours so far? Thanks, Chris

5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

It is possible to pick up a few. Like others have stated you might end up with the PITA'S but it is possible to pick up a few that are not satisfied with there current LCO.
    IMO i would hold off until next year if possible ans stash back what cash you can for advertising and hit it hard next spring. Good Luck

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I would be afraid to run a ZTR with no insurance

7. Desoto_Lawn_Care

Desoto_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member
    from FL

Ya it's holding up pretty good so far, but it only has about 20 hours on it. Still, I'm fully expecting it to crap out eventually and I'm afraid getting parts for it will take awhile and leave me stranded with just my 22" push for days, if not a couple weeks. I"ll have my truck paid off soon so hopefully then I can go to one of my local dealers and get financed for a nice commercial Gravely or Hustler.

8. Jonathanmb1974

Jonathanmb1974 LawnSite Member

Would I save a substantial amount of money by waiting until year end?

I already have an advertising plan ready to start when needed. But would really like to pull some good quality accounts, not just someone else's trash.

Thanks for the input!

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes to the savings. Dealers need to redo there floor plan and you can get a brand new mower for much less then retail.

10. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just picked up an account yesterday. Very nice lady on my old street thats lived there for 58 years. Its hot out right now and people are still looking. Put out some flyers in your spare time and see if you pick up some people. If there pitas drop them fast, then you don't need to worry about them next year!