Too late to overseed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The landscaper, Nov 13, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Is it too late to overseed in the next couple weekends?

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i am still doing it for customers and i am behind , as a matter of a fact i still have to do my horse and cow pastures too .

3. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

what kinda grass seed mix are you using. most turf seed mix's are perenial rye grass so shouldnt be much of a problem , just dont expect to see an overwhealming appearing in another few weeks prolly wont see a difference till spring. think the germination rate drops 20% per year with seed from what i remember could be wrong though

4. befnme

you should not have a problem if you use winter rye , it should be out of the ground with a thick cover in about 2 weeks with descent irrgation .

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

At this time of year I feel it is best to do the soil work now before the ground freezes, then hold off on the actual seed until your area is past the germination window.... in other words, dormant seeding.

That is, if it is fescue you are talking about....

6. befnme

envy i think he means like a cover crop or a green winter lawn .

7. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

was doin slit seeding two weeks ago, seems to be goin just fine the dethatching attachment make a great "hay barrier" for the seed

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

All the things I have read and heard say its ok to overseed fescue and rye now. If it goes dormant before it has a chance to get going, then it will come up in the spring. :cool:

9. befnme

i broadcast mine the i run over it with a home cheapo spike aerator , it works great .

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, thought of that and had to edit....