Too late to prune butterfly bush

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lwcmattlifter, Apr 13, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a customer that wants her butterfly bushes pruned back. Is it too late to lightly prune them?

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

it blooms on new growth...prune as hard as you want, it's not too late in my area.
    I grow them for sale in containers and prune back a few times every season to promote new growth and fresh blooms. Customers buy them in bloom. A little 10-10-10 or Nurserymans special will kick start the new growth.

3. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Thanks for the info, ill be pruning them next week sometime.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The best time to prune Butterfly bush is:
    Nov,Dec.Jan,Feb,and March.

:)

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well sure as heck wont hurt them to get pruned back hard now,But they will be later flowering of course.
    Just to be safe,remove the heavy bigger canes to the base,cut back the other canes to the first or second nice healthy bud you see on each cane and remove any dead canes.if you dont see a healthy bud take that cane off to the base also

6. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Thanks for the replies. I just started doing work for this client and the butterfly bushes have not been pruned in several years. They are starting to take over the bed they are in. Of the three one is close to 8-10 ft tall. Last year the LCO that was taking care of the property wrapped them with string and staked them to support the branches because they were too heavy and breaking off during the spring and summer storms.