Too late to seed in CT??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Oct 20, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think so. A customer of mine wants their new drive backfilled and seeded. What do you think??

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You might be okay. Just warn the customer that if (and when) we get frost, it may affect the seedlings. He should probably plan on you overseeding in the Spring to thicken it up.

3. KenH

from CT

We actually had a killing frost last night, but it is supposed to warm up. Im in New Haven County, BTW.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

your too late in my opinion. we did a seeding job about a week and half ago with perrenial and annual rye, and still no germination. not to mention we had that killer frost last night, and readings of 29 as the low by the end of the week. wait till next year i think.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

we had a major frost here last night as well. I slipped on black ice when i went out to start my car this morning. in the driveway. 26F!

6. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

Don't guarante the results, can always reseed in the Spring ( build it into the cost ) The Big Problem is leaving the ground exposed all winter; until the ground freezes it'll be a quagmire, if it all doesn't wash away...if nothing else throw down heavy mulch so if somebody drops a wheel, they don't get stuck or track mud all the way to wherever...Suppose to warm up this weekend, but it won't be enough, ground temps. are decreasing...

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As I said, warn him about frost. If he still wants to do it, you may want to make up a contract pointing out the problems with seeding this late in the season.

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

to late my friend.nothing will come up now

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

to late my friend.nothing will come up now

10. KenH

from CT

Thanks guys. I just hung up the phone with the cust. We will wait until spring-----job security.:D