Too late to seed?? Indy area

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnForceOne, Oct 1, 2013.

1. LawnForceOne

LawnForceOne LawnSite Member

Ive got all of my seeding jobs done for the year but ive had a few people calling today wanting this service done. Im just worried it may be too late in the year to get the turf established before winter. Should i seed now or should i do a dormant/spring seeding?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

What seed mix? If this is overseeding I'd say take a chance, go for it. If it is for a new lawn it can be done but will need great aftercare and some luck with weather. Some kind of cover and some water everyday. I like PennMulch but light straw or sprayed such as hydro-seeding would all give you a good chance.
  3. LawnForceOne

LawnForceOne LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
    Im planning on over seeding with jdl's teammates plus blend and a small really shady areas with a shady blend mix. One of the lawns lost a lot of turf over the summer due to lack of rain. It has maybe 45-55% cover. I really doubt these folks will be diligent waterers. Im thinking a dormant seeding may be better for them.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I'm seeding now and will continue to seed right up to snow cover... at this time of year when everyone has their irrigation shut down for winter,, it is going to be reliant on the weather anyways... whatever doesn't germinate now will still be there for Dormant Seeding...
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I would in a heartbeat.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What is your soil temperature? Up here we had ryegrass germinate in the last 7 days. Soil temp yesterday was 59. Tall fescue may be a bit slower. Be sure to use plenty of seed, plenty of water, starter fert and good soil preparation. Seeding now should work fine--however--as the weather cools off and you start to get frost at night, germination and early growth will be slow. Growth of cool-season grass is very slow below 45 degrees...if day temps stay below 45...don't expect much.
    Seed will not cure a shade problem.
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Shoot me if I'm wrong. We just finished seeding lawns where the homeowner is willing to lightly water once or twice a day (Iowa). But the vast majority of seeding jobs are for homeowners who say they will never water. This means .... "dormant seeding" (November, and even early December if weather permits).

p.s. I hate ryegrass. TTTF or KBG is for me. Just sayin'................
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you love it Larry when the homeowner admits they are too lazy to water something that they are paying good money for. Basically have to hope for a few good rains otherwise they might as well throw their money like a popcorn fart.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Got that right my friend.