Too late to seed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Oct 6, 2002.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I've got a management company that wants me to seed ten lawns. Good money I'd really hate to turn down. However, our average first frost here in Lawrence, Kansas (northeast Kansas, 40 miles east of Kansas City) is October 15th. So do I tell this guy he's better off to wait till spring or do I take his money and run? Considering that I also have 13 properties that I mow for him I'd really rather not do something, knowingly, to jeopardize or relationship. Any suggestions?

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Toby Tobin on AM 980 radio says this is the last weekend to put down seed here in the Kansas City area. He is on every Saturday morning. His family has been in the lawn care/landscape business for years. Just warn him about cutting it real close for seeding now and let him decide.
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if u seed now wont it be ok, the grasss will germinate a little but wonrt grow till spring?
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You are cutting it close. Here in Wichita I usually stop seeding 2 weeks before the 15th. I would definetley explain to him the dangers and ask if you can do it in the spring, especially if you have such good relations with this individual.

Last year we could have extended the seeding season a month, but who knew???

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

If that's what he wants, do it. It's not going to hurt. Our first frost is also around Oct. 15th. I overseeded some accounts after the fall cleanups last year (Nov 15th) and had great success.

6. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I went ahead and reseeded. Would you believe I just got another email from him asking that I do five more? What the heck as was said it's what he wants...:dizzy:
  7. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

What is involed in seeding anyhow? I know you just don't put seeds on the ground...

I have one customer that I would like to see more front yard grass... the soil is great, just no grass?

Is their something I can rent and seed his lawn?

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just seeded 4 lawns today, ill do 8 more over the next week or so. ive seeded as late as nov. 10th, as long as there is good soil, u should have good results. and, never, ever just put seed on the ground. its all about contact, contact, contact

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

It also depends on the grass varieties. Ryegrass will germinate within a week. Fine fescue will be 2 weeks. Bluegrasses will take up to 30 days.

The results will vary upon watering and temps. Therefore, YOU need not take responsibility for them.

Just get good seed/soil contact and leave the results to the customer.

Good luck.
  10. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one know at what soil temperature seed will no longer germinate? Does frost have an effect on the seed it self?