Too Late to Start a business in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by b727guru, Sep 2, 2004.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

With the beginning of September upon us, is it prudent to start a Lawn Care business now?

My thinking is to start now and establish customers now for spring time. At the same time, a lot of money goes into equipment that if purchased right now will sit around with not much cash flow.

Please help,

Mario
    :confused:

2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

there is no time like the present. Go for it. Be forewarned that you will not make much money your first season. but persistence will pay off.

3. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

You can start now. make aeration and over seeding the main focus of your advertizing. Look to pick up leaf cleanups during the fall and you can still pick up some lawns. I agree with vadeere do not expect to make a killing. The pickings will be slim since most customers a beginning to gear down lawn care. Good Luck

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would focus on fall cleanups and winterising propertys. Take time to check out alot of equipment. There is an expo in Charlotte NC in nov. And last year alot of equipment companys had 3- 6 months no payments. Look at everything 1 time and what you like 2 times and try to demo some mowers

5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I'm with squared and GC fool-I've noticed that the hydro seeding guys are all but ignoring residential accts now also-I have a few xtra A&O'seeds as a result. Don't be discouraged-you're in Ga-more turf to maintain than any other state this side of the Miss River, with an excellent growing season-4 counties in the top 10 for growth in the nation-Paulding, Clayton, Henry, Forsyth, etc. GC fool made a very good point about equipment-They'll very happily sell you more than you need-don't buy what the sales guy likes-buy what you can maintain and work with every day-I'll stop-I've had a lot of caffeine

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi b727guru,

Get it going! Figure out what services you can offer now and then you will have a jump start on next spring.

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely start as soon as you can! my only regret is not starting sooner. think things through, and learn as you go. if this is something you truly want to do, you will succeed. Definitely a good time to start, with aerating coming. YOu'll be able to get your foot in the door, and possibly get some contracts for next year at the same time!
    Good luck