Too late to start lawn biz?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Hey guys I just recently lost my job and am having a hard time finding one that pays what I was making (45,000). I am considering start a lawncare/snow removal business. Do you think it is too late to advertise and do leaf clean ups and gutter cleanings? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, especially other Indiana companies.

2. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Daleman,

I also lost my job and started my own business. All I can say is give it a try and see what happens. It's probably not the best time to buy a bunch of mowing equipment but if you start with snow removal you shoud be OK.

Good Luck!:)

3. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Ever done snow removal?

I'd start plowing for a local contractor before you go out on your own.

First year plowers usually end up damaging prop. & destroying their trucks. Do it on someone elses tab.

4. It is never to late. This is one of the best things about this business anyone can buy a mower and start cutting grass and make some money. I beleive that at least 90% of the people who lose their jobs start a grass cutting business. I wonder why when people lose their jobs they do not go into the heating and air business. Oh, maybe because it takes some skills to trouble shoot and repair a hvac system while any mexican with a brush hook can mow a lawn.

5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

That really says a lot for you and makes me feel so much better about being in this business ......

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

At first start working for a local lawn maintenance company to make sure you like it. Remember, it will be different when you're on you're own but you'll pick up a lot of good information and tips from the guys who have been in the business a long time.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am not so sure I agree with the last comment. I understand the argument but I know I could NEVER work at this business as simply a laborer. The ONLY thing that kept me in this business when I started was that I was the owner and I was making good money. But if I had been an employee and was making $8-$10 an hour, I would have never lasted.

I suppose if you have REAL endurance and go in knowing it's just temporary and you're going to just be there a while to learn the ropes, it's possible. But I still don't think I could do it.

Furthermore, I don't see any reason not to just jump in and start your own business. True, you will maybe learn a little slower than if you just jumped on board with an established company. But with lawnsite as a resource, you really can't lose. If I had known about this site 7 years ago when I started, I could have gotten to where I am twice as fast.

The only thing you got going against you is the timing. Generally speaking, this is about the worst possible time to start a lawn care business. It CAN be done. But it's very difficult. You'll have to market 10 times as hard this time of year than you would during the spring. Not that you can't do that. If you are willing to go out and put out 400-500 flyers on every day you're not working, I truly believe you could build a good business very fast, even this time of year. But most people don't have that kind of dedication.

However, depending on your climate, you may very well be able to start up on the Snow Plowing side of things. I don't know squat about that business because it never snows where I live. But I bet you could get by doing that until Spring and then go like crazy come spring time with lawn care!

Best of luck. If I can ever be of help, let me know. I just love it when a man becomes a free man and starts to work for himself!

8. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I did have my own lawncare biz about 4 years ago which I did part time while working construction. I made really good money and was just using regular homeowner equipment. I wasn't planning on buying any mowers or anything until spring. I am just gonna concentrate on fall clean ups and such since there is no grass growing here in northwest Indiana. I am gonna just plow this winter with a snowblower doing residentials as I don't have enough money to buy a plow for my truck.

9. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Start with leaf cleanups ASAP.... (notice I did not say leaf mulches)

10. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

what is a leaf mulch? cut them up with mower?