1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Too late to start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeCountry, Aug 6, 2001.

1. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

The sale of our house and subsequent move to our new town took much longer than expected. I am now ready to start operations but it is August in Minnesota and I only have three months left to do any work. Any ideas? I have a great business plan in place and the support of my wife as well - I really want to get started so I can pick up some fall clean-up work and plowing contracts...

I am pretty sure I am going for it hells bells but I wanted to get your opinions...

Thanks guys!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Odds are good that you wont get too many calls for the maintenance end of the biz right now, however there is no time like the present to get your name out there and get the ball rolling.

I would treat this month as if it were February and you were going to be starting in March. Instead of looking for Spring Clean-Ups you are advertiseing for Fall C-U's. Now is also the perfect time to line up Aeration and Overseeding after the dry summer most have shared.

Just keep in mind that the growing season is just around the corner and theres always business if your looking for it!:D

Best of Luck!
    Kris

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We started last year late in the fall im talking like september (early) and was amazed at the amount of work we got and about 10 accounts were lawns!!! There are always people dropping companys that there not happy with just make sure your name is in front of them when they do!!! Good Luck with your start up

4. it probably right now is not the best time to be picking up lawn accounts. however its a pretty good time to look at snow accounts, and usually they lead to lawns if i am not mistaken.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

No you are not. The potential to coincide is definitely great!

Kris

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

Do it... You can't start soon enough when it comes to next year.

7. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I started my LC operation in the begining of JULY this year, I did flyers, small ad in local paper, truck signs. I now have a handfull of accounts. This is just the way I wanted it to grow, Slow in the begining at a pace that would allow me to "LEARN" more about this business. Sure I could have gone out and bought one of the local companies in my area that are for sale and had 70 accounts right off the bat. I was not experienced enough to take on this many so now I work at my own pace--growing and growing as each week goes on.

Get your name out there! Look as professional as you can, SMILE to everyone! My first account lead to their neighbor to ask me to do thier property. Do a good job! All the accounts I have, are being done with a 21" Honda mower, and homeowner power equipment. I will advance to the "REAL" equipment when I feel it is needed. I am not a scrub and don't you become one. I get an average of $35.00 per hour with a $30.00 minimum charge to do someones property. I am registered as an LLC with my state, Insured, collect sales tax and so on. I also recomend an accountant and lawyer. Be professional and they will come!

So get your name out thier and happy lawncare! Good luck!

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I dont know how it is there, but here in Tennessee fall clean up and leaf removal starts in, well yes, "THE FALL". I would advertise, knock on doors, send out brochures etc...And you should get something. Even if it's the overrun of the already established LCO. Get started now and remember to do the same in Feb. to get next year started off to a bang!

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would attempt to make contact with other LCO's in your "new" area. Ask them if they would refer you if they are full. No time like the present to get to know your competition and let them know your in town................might work. I surely wouldn't sit around and wait til next year..........get busy!

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Originally posted by lawnboy82 [/i]
    its a pretty good time to look at snow accounts, and usually they lead to lawns if i am not mistaken.

Man! And here, all this time, I thought it was the other way around!!!:D LOL