too late?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Commonwealth LC, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Commonwealth LC

Commonwealth LC LawnSite Member

im starting my own business and I am ready and have no doubt that ill make money have love the work. Do you guys know from experience if it is too late to get any work?? im quitting my job that i work at all the time because they are not flexable with me at all, with my business or school (assc. in horticulture) anyways, im still putting my notice in to quit, so i can go to some trade association meetings and nursery seminars, but just wanted to know so i can figure in how much time im going to be going door to door! :)
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

as most say its never too late, just might need to do more advertising. I wasn't able to get out in the beginning of the season so i'll be starting the first week or second week of may. Good luck.
  3. toddbntly

toddbntly LawnSite Member

that's encouragement for me! I don't think I'll be able to start till the end of may! (college...moving) I plan on doing a ton of advertising though. Plus, I will be able to supplement it this season with being a restaurant waiter etc. Hopefully by next season I can get about 20 residential lawns.
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, used to live in Amarillo. As stated above, its never too late. You will be just in time to start picking up the accounts from the un-reliable people out there. A must do is advertising. Make a nice flyer or doorhanger and get out there and start hitting the neighborhoods you want to work in. Just for info I would start out with 1500 - 5000 doorhangers. I got mine printed, full color both sides for $299 for 5000 (art work sold seperatly :D ). Once you get an account, start hitting the same neighborhood around it every month or so. Good luck
  5. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

this is really only my 2nd year doing this but last year i had quite a few calls the first day it hit 85.
    people just realize it's not much fun to cut grass when it's hot and muggy.

like every one said pass out flyer / door hangers hope you get some calls.
  6. Commonwealth LC

Commonwealth LC LawnSite Member

Thank you guys, there are so many knowledgeable people on this site!
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

things have been kinda slow in va, cool temps and a little dry, mowing is just getting started good
  8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

down here in va beach it just started growing good about 2 weeks ago i had a company pass out 5,000 flyers within the last week and so far i have gotten 8 accounts and 2 small landscape jobs. If i were you i would try to stay out of the high dollar homes because it is harder to get their business. Down here if you stay in the 200k homes or less then you should expect good results from flyers.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

how did you find a company to pass the flyers out? I've been looking around here but can't find anything, yellow pages? Don't feel like passing 5000 out myself.
  10. toddbntly

toddbntly LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot! That is mega encouraging for me!