1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Too late!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 10, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Due to some other unavoidable events, I haven't been able to do enough of my fliers! I've only gotten 2 more customers with 700 fliers :(
    Things aren't going well! As a last resort I thought about putting an ad in the paper classifieds (along with the one dozen scrubs/lowballers in there!) but the ad wouldn't start until tomorrow and I'm gonna be gone friday evening to sunday evening so I can't even return calls! :cry: :cry: :cry:
    I expected alot better response rate on the fliers than they got... maybe the paper ad will help but I still think I'm too late in the season for it. Most people will have either found another company or got a new mower/sunk alot of money into theirs... maybe I will get some procrastinators or maybe get some jobs from unsatisfied customers (other scrubs doing bad job). Any ideas for last minute rush job marketing??

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Start the ad Sunday. That way you should be able to return any calls when you get in, or first thing Monday morning.

Keep in mind that a paper ad with alot of compitition will generate alot of tire kickers, in other words people will call most of the ads wanting quotes from all of the companies and pick the cheapest one.

Personnaly, I would pass out more fliers next rainy day, as many as you can. 700 is not really alot.

Also, up here anyways, people tell themselves all winter long that they are going to cut their lawn themselves this year. When it gets a foot high they change their mind and want your service.:)

3. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I agree with bastalker, I always pick-up alot of account late when they decide its to hot or to much work or the mower is in the shop. You might also tell your current people to recommend you to thier friends...this always gets me a few account with older folks who think they want to do thier own yard for the exercise...then change their minds...Ill bet 90% of my residential accounts come late in the season...but then agian I dont advertise except word of mouth and areation ads.

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

2 Customers out of 700 flyers does not seem too bad. If my math is correct it is about 1/4 of a percent return. I put out 3000 flyers and have not had a single call. Most of my calls have been either referals or from the internet.

I usually figure that 1 customer out of every 1000 flyers is good. It doesn't matter when you run the ad, most people don't call right away anyway, they think about it a few days. And most won't even bother on a weekend, they will wait until Monday, or are happy to leave a message on the weekend expecting a callback on Monday.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ok, not trying to be a smart butt here, but why weren't you able to distribute more than 700 fliers?
    You have spent hundreds of hours on here waiting for the season to start, and now after sitting on the computer all this time, you haven't passed out enough fliers? It doesn't make sense.
    Believe me, we aren't flier pushers either, but I'm just curious as to why you weren't able to lay out more fliers.

6. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

don't worry too much, it usually takes three weeks before I get a ton of calls from my flyers. I would put more out though also, I put out nearly 10,000 and have picked up maybe 10 so far. Once the grass NEEDS to be cut more calls seem to come in. There is still snow on the ground in places here.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Eric--- JODI TOLD YOU!!

John

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats funny, but True:p

1986 posts

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a 1% contract return from passing out fliers. I'm really happy with that.

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a list of your local business' fax numbers from the Chamber of Commerce, then sit down and send everyone your flier/blown up copy of door hanger. If you don't have a fax phone, check the newspaper for a cheapie someone is getting rid of ($20). If you buy a new one, that could be as little as $50.

After you fax everyone, make a personal follow up visit to the ones you can get to. I just got in good with a couple of guys doing this.