Too Late?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, May 19, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I'm thinking it's too late already but I have a customer who wants his yard power raked. The new growth has started. The lawn is only 5 years old and he said he's bagged it the whole time. He also hasn't fertilized yet this spring.

I looked at the yard and the "thatch" (it isn't really) is mostly dead grass on top. I think if I cut it shorter and bag it, it will look a bunch better. I thought maybe a short cut, an aeration and then some fertilizer will do wonders. He's concerned 'cause his yard isn't as green as the neighbours. I'm just afraid of damaging the roots of the new growth with the power rake. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Remember Bluegrass will green up more slowly than most other cool season grasses.
    Be sure to tell your customer that.
    You can't really compare one lawn to the next as even the slightest variations will change things.
    I know that my own lawn greens up more slowly than one just across the street because they get more sun than I do.
    Simple things will make a difference.
    I would keep away from de-thatching now.
    The aeration and feeding would be worthwhile.
    Also make sure he is watering properly!

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I havent seen the lawn, but I would say that if the customer wants his lawn power raked...do it.
    But, be sure to tell him if the lawn suffers you aren't responsible.
    Be sure to blow the thach after you are done.
    my 10hp Little Wonder blower really gets the thach out. The leaves too!
    Good Luck!

4. grassrootsinab

from up here

I think I'm just going to cut it low and aerate it. If he wants me to try using my raking blade (flat blade with tine teeth on the end) to scratch the surface a bit I'll do that. I still think the biggest problem is not cut yet this season and lack of fertilizer. We've also had a cool spring (only 3 days about 20 degrees C and NOT consecutive) so that has an impact.

Thanks for the advice though!!

5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

The reason for it not being like the neighbors is b/c they didnt fertilize. Cut it shorter aerate and fert and it will look good.

6. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

do you have access to a spring tine rake for your mower..cleans a lawn up real nice and does not do the damage a power rake will...explain to the customer that if it does not need power raked aeration would be better for it...and of course fert....just one mans opinion...good luck...you might want to see if it getting enough water also... it hard to say

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd power rake. If someone wants to pay for it then sure, why not. Its not like its going to kill his lawn. I've raked lawns in June before with no ill effects.

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I would not do a low cut, that puts too much stress on the crown area of the grass. Also, If you fertilize, use a good starter fertilizer. If you use one high in nitrogen, all it does is cause top growth, and really does not benefit the plant. High nitrogen fertilizer should be applied in the fall.

9. grassrootsinab

from up here

I thought high nitrogen would cause the grass to not harden off and may be a cause of snow mold if done in the fall. Just a question.