1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too low?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

hey guys. I've got a bit of a problem here. One of my customers is complaining, well, not complaining, but more like telling me about how her lawn looks too shaggy at the end of the week. I don't know what day she is referring to, as I mow every 7 days, whether she thinks it's getting long on day 5 or 6, I don't know. Anyway, I did what she said and dropped the height one notch on my 21" to setting "B". I know, it's low, but she waters 4 days a week and it seems to not dry out so I figured it'll be okay. So I go to mow it, a little damp and I figured on double cutting. Well, since I mowed last week at "C", it had one week of growth PLUS the dropped setting. So, I knew it was long when I showed up so I made a once-over with my trimmer just to knock it down a bit. Started to mow around the outside and it just didn't work. So, up went the deck one notch. Mowed the entire lawn on setting C. Clumped a little because of the dampness, so I dropped the deck again. Mowed the lawn on B, and it clumped so bad like you wouldn't believe. The mower bogged down pretty bad and pulled up alot of thatch. When I got done, I pulled the deck up to C and finished up. Looked fine when I got done but it looked terrible before I got done. Anybody else had this problem? Are there good ways to make the customer understand that it needs to be higher? I don't want to loose the job, a very willing payer and a good friend (my piano teacher). So, I'm going to have to make a point that I just can't mow that low because of my equipment and that it would be alot of wear and tear on my engine. Mind you that the setting B is lower than 2 inches, and C is around 2 1/4. I guess I have some convincing to do, but does anybody have this problem with pulling up thatch? Oh, BTW, I'm mulching. Thanks guys!
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Scag, buddy, I think everyone has had some of these customers at one time or another. It's not that what you are doing is wrong, they like to be in control. Don't cut at B if you can't. As a matter of fact cut on "D" next week and when she complains, drop back a notch :) Then you are right back where you started.

Around here it doesn't matter what level you cut at, 3 inches, 3 1/2 inches, or 4 inches....it's gonna be the same height next week when you go back, why bother shaving it? It just looks bad when you're done.
  3. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

!!!2 Inches!!! WOW, that is short. Around here, MISSOURI, it is that time of year you can not mow it tall enough. We have been mowing all of our accounts at 3 1/2 minimum for 2 months. in fact, I do a couple jobs that are 21 inch push mow jobs and our mowers wont mow high enough. The grass stays healthier when it is taller.

When people want it cut short, I cringe. I know it is a personal preferance but not good for the grass.
  4. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

2"! Man......Round' here we cut between a MINIMUM of 3.25" all the way up to 4.25".

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

None of mine care as long as it's cut. They don't know how high it's being cut or how short either. I don't even keep track of the height, just go in and take a little off the top so the grass looks good and leave. It seems like other parts of the country place a lot of emphasis on the exact length of the grass, around here if it's cut on time it looks good and everyone is happy.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

skagg--cut us a break here. obviously she needs to water less, needs to be on a five day cut schedule, you need to start raking clumps, or you need to get that big mo-hunkin mower out to do the job.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Scag48, your problem is that you are not in control of your business. Instead of you reacting and changing how you cut the ladies yard just because she made a comment you should explain to her "hey listen you ol bag(nah dont really say it the way LOL) You water the grass alot and it is going to grow alot and look shaggy before I can get back and if I cut it low its going to make a mess and hurt my mower. I am cutting it at the correct height for the type of grass that it is. And if she keeps *****ing, drop her and hope she doesnt slam the piano key cover on your hands one day. Always throw in the key word "if I have to spend more time in your yard its going to cost you more money" that usually shuts them up for awhile. Scag, what have you got to lose man. You live at home. Aint like you going to go bankrupt and homeless if you lose a few customers
  8. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

That's nothing. ;)

I believe when I cut the lawn today it was set to half an inch. :D

(The lawn at home, not someone elses' lawn.)
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her cutting it that low will hurt her lawn, not your mower. Most customers nice or not arent too concerned about your equipment, but their precious lawn they are very worried about.
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My customers never know how high I cut. If they ask I'll tell them 2.5 or something. the lawn should look shaggy at the end of the week. That is why they get "weekly mowing"