1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Too Many Children On This Site?"

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by nocutting, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, has anybody noticed that alot of the "Members" are children?....I dont mind sharein infomation, but if another 15-18 yr old kid shows up at an estimate i'm on....I'm gonna have to call up "Spanky" & git him to send "Butch" out to retifry things in a civil manner [ wasnt "Butch" the sargent at Arms?]....Any other "Adult Thoughts" on this subect? :dizzy:....PS, how can a "Kid" justify him getting as much as an adult for his or her services?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so u were underbid again?
    i was a kid when i started many moons ago
    i would rather have a kid cuttin grass rather then sellin it
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

because, us kids do just as good work as you do. if we don't, we don't last long. it's only the kids who really love what their doing who do this. we are not forced economicly to bring in income. I.E. it's our choice.
    if the kid under bid you, it might be a good idea to teach him. that's the great thing about this site, is that I learned not to under bid. if it's wasn't for all the kids on this site, your problem might be worse. as far as the price goes. there are only a couple of options available as to why you lost the bid. 1. the peopel are just cheap (you don't want that kind of customer). 2. the kid does just as good work as you for a cheaper price (scary). 3. you over bid. 4. the customer would prefer to deal with a kid, who they think they can take advantage of. 5. the kid has virtually no overhead, and can bring home the same amount for a cheaper price. 6. the kid does better work than you, and didn't under bid at all.

do you actually know how much he under bid you?

I charge the same as the big boys for my services. I don't know what kind of money you get for you jobs, but this is what I charge: lawn mowing, $25 per 10,000. with a $25 minimum price. aerating, $12 per 1000. landscaping, $50 per hour.

all materials get a 30% markup.
    I find that some customers prefer dealing with kids, because they don't feel as pressured as they would with an adult.

you should be happy that there are so many kids who are on this site.
  4. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Because if he doesn't, he'll be lynched as dreaded "low baller". Business is business, if you can't compete with kids...
  5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"I guess I'm lucky", Kids arent allowed to work in my area, I wasnt bid against by childen ever, but was wonderin how children are allowed to do this kind of work in "Rural america"....Sorry if you folks took my post to seriously...Sure its great we give all sorts of free info , but whos there to prevent on-site accidents from happening.........talk about giveing away services?.....Here better companys get $25 for 2-3000sqft of lawn [ low ballers $10-15] mowing, I get $300+ per ac to fertilize, $6-900 to slit seed an ac[ depending on the seed I use? Endophyte enhanced?].....Here we have child labor laws?...I just dont think its right....just doesnt seem fair....guess I'm old fashioned?......Think you should be at the movies, a park or the beach :) ....PS....I dont do bid jobs, its all on refferral.
  6. Laurentian

Laurentian LawnSite Member

You are also in HI. I would think the rates would be higher then on the mainland. Plus you have 12 months of work. Here in Northern MN we are luckly to get 7. If you can get those prices I am moving there!!!
  7. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, believe it or not, there are alot of young LCO's out there that will work hard if not harder than the adult LCO's, and sometimes for cheaper. payup

And anyway, seeing that you live on Long Island, I would not recommend that use of language with a teen b/c you might end up getting hurt. :gunsfirin

There are alot of members under 18 on this site and you're trying to fight a big army. Anyways, alot of lawn guys over 18 out there started in thier teens. :nono:
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3)Trying to fight a big army? Sounds more like bringing a knife to a gunfight. :waving:
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

It is crazy to think that a 16/17 year old kid (or younger but i said 16 because I feel you need to be able to drive to operate) can operate a business and actually do a good job. But if your capable then why not, I was managing a company at 17, scarey but I did a very good job managing 2 crews and then I got smart and am started my own company. Its one of those things, if a kid is actually smart enough to succeed at what he's doing he's going to probably stick with it and be just like most of the people on this site that are in their 30's/40's and have been doing it since they were teens. The ones that are chooches (like that word :D ) and use a push mower, charge hardly anything and blow the money away are going to get out of it when they hit 18 and can get a job at the burger joint or where ever else, its a crazy cycle.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont see the problem with the kids. If they were my kids I would be proud of them, look at what most teenage boys are doing in their spare time. Kids can get hurt driving drunk or stoned at 100mph a whole lot easier than by a lawnmower. I would rather take my chances with the mower.