Too many choices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hunter73, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

I am buying a new zero turn rider this Friday.

I have a narrowed it down to the following choices from my dealer:

Ferris IS1500Z 25 hp Kawasaki 52" (full suspension) $6999

Hustler Z 25 hp Kawasaki 60" $7499

Scag Tiger Cub 25 hp Kohler 61" $7599

I just don't know which to choose. They each have pros and cons.

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I don't see a Gravely so I would have to say Scag. No Gravely dealers in your area?

3. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

There is one about 15 miles from me. I'll have to call him today. Which Gravely model would you recommend?

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If you haven't considered Gravely then your not ready to buy lol. You want a 260Z with the X-Factor deck. I think they are $7700 at my dealer. Your prices seem much lower than here. Gravely is probably a little cheaper than the Scag or Hustler.

My 260Z cuts the grass around here very well. Be sure you demo!

2006_0513Image0007.jpg

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I would take into consideration which size deck you are reallly looking for

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll vote for the Ferris, but I haven't used a Hustler or Scag, so I might be a little biased to my own brand. If 52" is enough for you, you'll really enjoy the ride and power. I have used a Deere 757 with 60" deck and 25hp Kawi and thought it was underpowered. I was mowing for the John Deere dealer and was using their demo mower. Granted, the grass growing under the combines and tractors was heavier than most lawns. I still felt like I needed a couple extra horsepower even in the lighter areas that do get mowed somewhat regularly. Every time I turned the mower off so I could move a piece of equipment, the engine backfired, even after letting it idle to cool. I'm disappointed with John Deere right now and I'm glad to see you haven't included them in your list of possibilities. I personally think 25hp is not enough for a 60"+ deck. Depending on the price increase, I would suggest considering a Ferris IS2000Z so you get 4 wheel independent suspension instead of a pivoting front axle. You can get the same deck and engine on the IS2000Z.

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Hands down scag Look at discharge opening on a scag compared to the gravely Scag gets the grass out fast and the High velo decks are hands down great decks . Scag mowers are built like tanks and will take the abuse . I cant comment any any other because all i use are scags I was just comparing the pic of the deck on the gravely compared to what mine is

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

what about Toro? My dealer has a 28hp Kaw w/ 60" cut for $7,400.00 and the turbo force deck is one of the best cutting decks out there.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

why not exmark?

10. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Don't own any of these, but from doing my own research last year, I think the hustler is the best quality machine out of the three. I ended up with a 52 Stander, but I do bagging, so with the bag the hustler would have cost around 10,000, and the stander was the next best thing for the price.