too many clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Jul 16, 2004.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to ask u guys what u do with a yard that u cut every other week and has chem-lawn or scotts treating it. I started mowing this guys yard three months ago and with all the rain it has grown 10 to 12 inches in between cuts every time. I have double cut and went back over it with the blower and dispersed all the clippings as best I could. I called him and he agreed to let me mow it 3 times this month but when I showed up yesterday there were a lot of brown spots and streaks in the yard from clippings that were left from the time before. Now dont get me wrong I did not leave clumps lying around I did disperse everything but you can only do so much every other week and I dont have the option to bag. So what would u guys do about this?
  2. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

bag it , raise the deck or tell him to get it cut every week. let the guy know he gets chem lawn or who ever and with all the rain it needs to get cut once a week
  3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him you need to do it every week. Then tell him it's better for the lawn to be cut every week.
  4. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

bobcatnj is right. You're killing yourself and your equipment. You might tell tell him that he's waisting his money on the chemicals if the grass is not kept under control.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

absolutely positively no if ands or buts for biweekleys and fertilizing.

if they want a nice green lawn with the aid or fertilizers then they will be moved to a weekly cutting schedule. end of story.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

tell him it is bad for the lawn and your price will have to increase (enough so that its cheaper to have it mowed every week) because of the wear and tear on your equipment
  7. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I do...If he want's to mow less, charge him appropriately for a job you have to double cut and blow clippings. Still do a good job, but charge accordingly if he wants to do it this way.

I always charge more for overgrown lawns...doesn't everyone?
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This account is costing you money in lost production. Dont be afraid to lay out the terms under which you are willing to service this account. Sometimes you need to get right to the point with people. Tell them that bi-weeky is not frequent enough for a lawn that is growing a foot in two weeks and that you will have to cut weekly or they may need to look elsewhere for lawn service. That or double pay for double cutting. That I could handle.
  9. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I am new to this, is "bi-weekly" the common nomenclature here for every other week?
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

biweekly = 2 weeks