Too many Cutters in my area now!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, May 25, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Every year I keep losing contracts and my advertising isn't working, mostly cold call cheap people looking for one time or bi-weekly cutting that I don't do. Guy's around my area are putting signs on there customers lawns (I think is tacky) and putting stickers on postal area boxes (illegal). I drove though a small area and counted 13 small (1-3 workers) and shook my head at the fact I'm not sure I can survive. I only need 60 to 70 residential and a few commercial and this year I'm fighting to keep my 50 :dizzy: Oh, well I hope I'm around next year because it will be my tenth.
  2. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

its gonna get worse :( the provinces should really step in and make it harder for the fly by nights to take advantage of customers in his market.
  3. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be able to make if if I didn't do bi-weekly. About 65% of my lawns are bi-weekly. I do half one week, and the other half the next. I don't understand guys not wanting to cut biweekly?
  4. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

I used to have an account that was bi-weekly, at the price i charged it got ridiculous to have to double cut to cover the growth on the off week especially during spring. told her i wasnt able to do every other week and if she wanted i could do standard 4 cuts per month, she didnt want to.

CEOAPE LawnSite Member

When the customer refuses to pay for weekly cutting and demands bi-weekly, i wont drop them. I just simply raise the blades and begin multching from then on out. This works especially well with my empty commercial lots. It's funny, these people own lots worth 6 figures, but whine and cry about a weekly cutting price. Whatever -
  6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. Gets to be a mess most of the time. Except I finally talked my two customers into a weekly schedule, and their saving a buck or two.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I here ya. Every year more people ghet in and mow lawns for what - - - -CHEAP! They are starting at rates that were used 5 - 8 years ago. Yes, they come and go but every year there are at least a few more that start up. Some make it - others pander it off to other things and others use fathers money to get started. One crew here - two brother, both married, mid to late 20's. Dad purchased a new Dodge for them. Two trailers - use dad's new chevy as well. Went to JD dealer and both 3 riders and 3 wbs. JD dealer told me yesterday that pretty easy to make money when dad paid for all that equipment and has the boy's charge everything to his name. Must be nice. Tough to deal with and I am sick of it. Been doing this all through highschool, college, and the last 10 years. People are undercutting by 15 - 60% of the local prices. What do you do?
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno man, It's tough I need to RAISE my prices, but guys are a cutting for 2-5 dollars cheaper than I am.:confused:
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't get it either. Drop price by 2 - 5 / cut and take away prime customers that were with you for years. Or there parents do business with each other and therefore your the odd one out. I do know now that people are not loyal as they once were. Yet I keep reading all this stuff about getting more work/business by touching base with your existing clients. Yes, I do that now, I do believe and KNOW that 80% of my income or highest margin on work comes from the top 20% of my cleints. We also bent over backwards to keep these people happy but they never complain about price, when were coming or the job at hand. But I still don't like seeing all the new lawn guys ever year. For every 6 that started, 2 or 3 ar still going and then the cycle starts all over next year and now there 4 - 5 newbie's running around.
  10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

It's going to be a downward spiral from here on in I'm afraid. As more people lose their jobs from outsourcing, downsizing etc. they will look for ways to economize and that will be done a number of ways. Fire the yard service or look for a cheaper lawncare just to hack it down are two we are all seeing. Of course these people desperate for work after a lay off or others seeking to supplement their marginal retirement will get into the biz or mow a few on the side.:cry: Five here, ten there and before you know it no one has enough work to stay in the lawncare business. It's bleak and our politicians are perfectly happy to continue the status quo because they've made sure their nests are well feathered. I've seen more new guys in our area this spring alone than probably have started up in the last five years or so.