too many diesels

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by lawnboy82, Mar 8, 2001.

1. i was just looking at the purchase agreement for the new 550 i am buying and it said the usual stuff but what has got me is:
    powerstroke turbo diesel
    i know that powerstroke is the manufacturer of the diesel and that most companies are putting out turbo diesels, but what is the difference between a regular diesel engine, a turbo diesel and a, i think it is a supercharged turbo diesel? (saw that in a vermeer chipper) and what makes a turbo diesel a turbo diesel as opposed to a regular diesel? is it more power? more torque? i would like to know what the deal is with that. thanks for all of your help

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

a turbo diesel has a turbocharger on it.they work somewhat like this. the turbo unit has an impeller inside it that is spun by the escaping exhaust gases from the manifold,the impeller in turn forces fresh air into the fresh air intake.
    similar to a supercharger however a super is run off of a belt from the crank. i have not seen a super on a diesel engine. if i'm wrong i'm shur someone will clear it up.
  3. that is nice how they work, but what do they do for the engine? why not just get a regular diesel?
    the vermeer that i saw with the supercharged turbo diesel or whatever it had they were saying that it boosts the hp on it or something. i really am in the dark about this. any help would be nice. thanks again
  4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Basically, the function of a turbo on a diesel (or any engine, for that matter) is to create more power. Air and fuel have to be combined and forced into the cylinders, and they must be combined in the proper ratio. To get more power out of an engine, just adding more fuel isn't enough. There has to be more air as well, to keep the air/fuel ratio correct. A non - turbo ("normally aspirated") engine takes in intake air at atmospheric (14.7 psi or something like that) pressure. To get more air into the engine, it has to be forced in - "compressed". This is where the turbo comes in, feeding additional air to keep up with the extra fuel. That's why if the turbo "goes" the engine will still run, but be down on power and blow a lot of smoke because of the excess fuel going into the engine.

Hope I didn't confuse things further by posting this!
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If that 7.3 engine was not turblocharged,it would nedd to be 10.0 liters or larger to deliver similar performance,and would weigh about 1700 lbs and be a 10000 option.Turbl's are the best thing for any diesel,it makes the mburn cleaner and cooler while delivering much more power.Non turbl diesels smoke much more whem your under heavy throttle,since airflow is limited by RPM's,with turbo's the more fuel you give it,the faster the turbo spins and more boost it generates,more boost = more airflow,and lessens the tendency to smoke.
  6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

The engine is made by Navistar (aka International) for Ford.

7. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD LawnSite Member

The 53 & some of the 71 series Detroits Diesels are super charged.
  8. 6.9Driver

6.9Driver LawnSite Member

I drive a 1986 Ford F-250 with a 6.9 liter turbocharged diesel. The other guys did a great job of explaining how they work and why. I am new here so thought I would post on this subject since I am familiar. I plow also.

9. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

since it seems most diesel people are ford people if you haven't been there yet check out FORD-DIESEL.COM

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

My uncle told me this a while back,
    ya know how blowers for racing are rated as a 4-71,6-71 and 8-71 also the rare 10-71 the #`s stand for the size of engine and the series it was designed for, example 6-71 = the 6 stands for the number of cylinders it was able to pressureise the air for and 71 was the series of the engine, I also believe that some of the 2 stroke diesel engines that detroit diesel made were supercharged also.