Too many hours for a used WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveRave07, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am just wondering as I am looking into purchasing a used WB, how many hours would you guys consider to be too many to purchase. The benefit of buying a used WB is the price but I do not want to have to put a lot of money back into it in the near future if it is already too "used". The particular engines I have been looking at are 15-17 hp (occasionally slightly under 15 hp) Kawasaki and Kholer.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Most mowers with those size engines have no hour meter. are you looking at hydro or gear.

John

3. DaveRave07

from NY

I am looking for the most part at Hydro

4. John Gamba

from ct

1500 hours or less. But like i said! no meter, go on condition and how it handles.

Hydros can get costly.
    John

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Very Costly. :)

6. DaveRave07

from NY

what are the major advantages of hyrdo over gear drive?

7. John Gamba

from ct

Demo both then you can tell us.
    John

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Anything over 600-700 hrs...chance are not too good. There are ton of hydro walk available for sale like 100-200 hrs condition, sound tight and run like new, spindle, pulley, belts...sweet, you have to look for those guys with lazy ass on Z and want to get rid of walks, cheap price cause they want to sell. Listen to engine at full throttle and idle, it tells you a lot but nothing better than cutting and riding on it.