Too many lawns...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chrisg88, Nov 21, 2006.

1. chrisg88

chrisg88 LawnSite Member

Hello. If you don't know of me, I'm 18 years old, senior in High School. This year I had about a total of 30 lawns, and mowed about 20 lawns every Saturday (because of school). I normally did the weed-eating and edging, while I hired two others (paid at $7/hr) to do the mowing. Next year I plan to triple my lawns, but I'm worried about getting enough help. I want to be able to be at school, while having a crew take care of my lawns.

I know this is possible, and I know people have done this before. So, any advice? Thanks!!

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

well since im willing to bet your not a legit company not to many people are going to throw you positive feedback. Do you carry insurance, workers comp, commercial auto insurance, it takes a lot of time and effort to get a business to run on its own. Ask any of these guys who have put everything they have for 5-10 years, just to get a good business up and running. Id suggest staying small and keeping your work load down.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I say Rock on. As a business owner keeping good employees or finding enough employees is one of the greatest chalenges. I must give you a word of advice. or two.
    1. do things legit. too many people out there that are sue happy.

2. your young. How about keeping it small till you are out of school where you can devote 110% to your business. It takes alot of work and once you move from mom and dads house you will realize how much work you really need to do to make it.
    Motivation is a key to all of the big corporations. They started small and worked their way up little at a time. Some times you need to bite off more than you can chew. You are the only one that can decide what is too little or Too much.
  4. chrisg88

chrisg88 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, yall.

Where can I get information about becoming "legit" which I take means LLC, correct?

Also, are yall saying that I shouldn't advertise that much next year? Because I plan to try to reach 80-90% of this city with a flyer at least.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You couldn't handle 30 lawns on your own this season, you want to stay in school, and you want to triple that number?

If you can find the help, go for it, but you better be legit, and FULLY. Paying workers "under the table" will get your rear in some serious trouble if you don't have everything in order. And if your crew is doing 90 lawns a week, there is a very good chance they'll be caught.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with letting a crew of guys cut all my properties(not to mention 90) without my supervision or the supervision of a person I trust(either my partner or a hired foreman whom I trust). Too many things can go wrong with unsupervised workers, especially ones paid under the table at a small wage.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

No, LLC doesn't mean you are legit..
    Pay taxes
    Workers comp,
    Self employment tax
    vehicle insurance and such that is legit. how you have your business set up is up to you wether you are sole proprietor, LLC, S or C Corp. What ever works there.
  7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

workers comp alone would probably run 15K
  8. Lady Bug's Dad

Lady Bug's Dad LawnSite Member

Stay small. No employees unless you have all the licenses and insurance. Provide quality service to a few valued customers. Try mowing a few after school and spreading out the work. Continue your education, majoring in horticulture and business. You have the drive but you need to build some basic business practices and education is the beginning of that. There's only one Bill Gates....and who wants hair like his anyway?
  9. chrisg88

chrisg88 LawnSite Member

this is all great advice and everything, but there is one thing i have failed to mention.

i will graduate from HS in June of 2007, and from there I am not sure where I will attend college, but it looks like I will be living about 4 hours from Rockwall (where all my lawns are).

i obviously do not want to just let 30 lawns go down the drain. i really dont want to have to sell the business either. i would like to remotely still manage the business. any advice?

thanks so much yall.

10. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Not gonna happen.... If your going to be 4 hours away, the only chance you have is subbing your lawns out and hoping to get 20% of that. Hopefully whoever you sub out will do a good enough job that you can get your lawns back when you get back from school! Good Luck!