Too many limbs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OX Landworks, Jul 26, 2006.

1. OX Landworks

OX Landworks LawnSite Member

I am often in situations where I have to remove quite a bit of limbs and shrubs when I do installs and maintenance. What do you guys do with brush? I was thinking about mulching it all right as i take it out. So far I've been piling it on a vacant lot a friend lets me use.

2. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching it on the spot would lend itself to easier transporting in a large gray plastic trash can. I haven't ran into this yet since everyone has been in the city with curb pick-up of yard waste. One requested it to be left on the lot in the woods. I would need a bigger vehicle to transport yard waste or transport a mulcher and trash can. If I do need to do removal, I would plan a second trip with an empty vehicle and take it to the public mulch site.

Many counties and cities have a center where you can dump your yard waste for free. They mulch it and make it available for free. Good place to go if you need to fill in a large area and mulch rather than dirt would work. I wouldn't recommend it for mulching. Tends to look bad, and you never know what you're putting into your landscape beds.

If you have your own lot, you might want to discriminate what you mulch and use the free mulch for installations where it would look right.

3. GardnerLandscaping

$7 is the minimum drop-off fee in my local city and county for yard waste the size of a small pick-up truck. i lived in another county which had free drop-off. they probably charge fees in larger cities and counties where they are processing significantly more waste. cheaper to leave it on the street for the city to pick up.

4. GardnerLandscaping

There is a landscape company near where I live with a lot. They have bins setup for different type of mulch, likely hardwood mulch and compost for installs and soil conditioning. I'm tempted to drop by there one day and ask what they would charge to leave yard waste or use their compost.

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you notice no 1 replies after your 4-5 paragraph post, and sometimes 2-3 in a row. Sometimes less is more is what I guess I'm trying to say. People get overwhelmed by your post. So state your opinion plainly and to the point, and you'll get a lot more respect.JMO

6. GardnerLandscaping

sometimes i have to go back and try to correct all my mistakes in the first one. really i think i just need to quit posting. it has become an addiction, and i'm having to eat too many words.

7. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a chipper and make wood chips, see if any customer wants it let them have it, if not go to the dump and drop it off, takes up alot less space then bulky branches

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I load um in the pickup and haul to the dump. 14/load is dump fee IIRC.

9. OX Landworks

OX Landworks LawnSite Member

Taking them to a dump would be very nice, however the nearest one is about 24 miles away. What makes that even worse is that the quantities I deal with would make doing that very expensive. Our city has nowhere to take yard waste from someone commercially.

10. GardnerLandscaping

Use your own lot to dump waste for compost and mulch. You can make money by using your own mulch and compost.

You'll need to work out how you do the removal of yard debris and where you do the mulching. Whatever makes sense for you.

just my humble opinion.