Too many posters looking for an argument

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Apr 29, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I think the moderators at Lawnsite should be more aggressive in eliminating memberships where posters are critical of other members. The number of immature responses to issues I have posted recently has sky rocketed.

Justmowit, a true success in the industry, hasn't posted on lawn site in over a month. If I had to guess, I'd say Envy Lawn ran them off by belitting their practice of hiring hispanic workers in a thread I started in late March.

I also spend a great deal of time on the www.therx.com. This a gambler's forum. Sorry to say it, but the number of posters who bash and trash and try to cause trouble over there is almost nill. Belittling and trash talk seems to happen with almost every thread on LawnSite.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is with you. If I remember correct, you posted in the past about Justmowit running the Dallas area for LCO's. Now that Justmowit is buddies with you and helped you along at your business you don't want anyone to post anything negative about his business. :dizzy:

Just buy lawnsite from Sean and then you can really regulate what is posted.
    Everyone probably has gotten negative comments so with your idea their wouldn't be anyone left on this site.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to take the good with the BAD.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

There is a great deal of negative posts on here and alot of bs posts that shouldn't be there because they make no sense or help the cause at all. The moderators are going to say they don't moderate because that would be butting in on your right to speech but some moderation is needed. I know Jodi had said one time that they don't moderate because people don't like to be restricted on what they say but i also think a majority of lawnsite (the people that actually give factual posts and help the situations) would rather have some sensorship then 5 out of 8 or 10 posts being stupid replys that do nothing or try to start stuff with people. I think about this alot on here because I try to watch what I say so i don't get a bunch of idiots cracking about stupid stuff to me. And my only logical conclusion is that its because we are all (or mostly all) business owners competing against eachother there for we have a forum full of rivals, thats the only thing i can think of. But we also have alot of helpful people on the site that look past that and can help eachother out.

I go to a car website that has 7500 members, the moderators and the owner of the site are VERY strict, if an argument carries on past 10 posts they warn them, one more post and the thread is closed, that simple. People see this and there for they don't start crap every 5 seconds for fear of being kicked out because its a very good site. I think the same would stand for lawnsite, extremely good site and people would be afraid to get kicked off, because admit it or not alot of us are addicted to the site :D

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I go to a car website that has 7500 members, the moderators and the owner of the site are VERY strict, if an argument carries on past 10 posts they warn them, one more post and the thread is closed, that simple. People see this and there for they don't start crap every 5 seconds for fear of being kicked out because its a very good site. I think the same would stand for lawnsite, extremely good site and people would be afraid to get kicked off, because admit it or not alot of us are addicted to the site :D[/QUOTE]

Moderate, but why close the thread, how about an 8 hour cooling off for the offenders, usually the person that started the thread is not to blame for the arguments, why should anyone have the right to hijack the thread to the point that it is closed?
    I say 8 hours offline with repeating offenders reciving an added 8 for every additional offense.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

very good point stumper. It isn't the persons fault that started it (most cases on here) its the few idiots that get on and want to start a fight about which is best blah blah blah. I understand that not everyone will get along when theres almost 29,000 registered members (probably way less actually use the site daily) but the amount of smack talk on here is huge.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

An ignore feature would be nice. Basically, if there is a member who is consistently be-littling you, you could place them on ignore status. That way, when that poster posts something, it would be blocked out to anyone who has them on ignore. Yahoo Finance message boards allow for this, though I've never found it necessary. Here on Lawn Site, I'd like to place about a dozen or so members on permanent ignore status...the guys who act like they know everything and talk down to others.

But honestly, I just think the moderators should be more pro-active in suspending posting priveleges. Just put an end to the rudeness. If a poster wants to be rude and start schit, place them on suspension. Don't tolerate it. Don't allow a handful of bad apples to drag LawnSite into the gutter.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

There is an Ignore feature--Go to user cp and then on the left scan down to the bottom buddy/ignore

9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Charles,

Very cool. Works like a charm. No more torment from the bad apples for me.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Charles beat me to it. DFW - I'm glad you found this feature. It is an unfortunate shame that it (the feature) even exists, but it ivery useful. The funny thing is, people make reference to certain members who they feel pollute the board with frivolous or wasteful posts...and they have the option to "ignore" these members. Instead, they intentionally do not ignore them and just wait for the next example of that member posting something they do not like and start an argument.

Upon taking over this forum I think there was about the same as your car forum you mentioned - about 7500 people. The members who are here now from back then can remember that enforcing the rules and the board was a lot easier back then. Now with 29,000 members there never seems to be enough time in the day....and trust me, we have two of the best moderators in cyberspace working to keep lawnsite clean and manageable in Jodi and Charles.

The word "censorship" is quick to follow and edit or a deletion - no matter who the member is. We try not to take too much away from the members. Our hope always has been that as business owners (regardless of age), professionalism will win out in the end.

The other thing I want to add is the members have no idea how helpful it is when they report posts that are bad, against the rules, spam, etc... it is a big help to us and with thousands of threads it makes our life just a little easier and we do appreciate those who take the time to do this.