1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too many ZTR brands

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowin'man, Mar 24, 2001.

1. mowin'man

mowin'man LawnSite Member

I have seen a whole lot of ZTR's on the market and I'm
    wondering what the differences are "under the hood" so to speak.
    I've seen Land Pride, Exmark, Toro, John Deere, Hustler, Husqavarna, and Dixie Chopper just to mention a few.
    They all look the same for the most part but what makes
    a better mower?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Look for hydro Coolers, motor oil coolers, Donaldson air filters, Amsoil bypass filters, just anything that will help make a mower last longer. Some brands have some of these things, some have them as an option, but all of these things are standard on the better Chopper models, any model that ends in 00.

Keeping the air the cleanest possible going into the engine and filtering out all possible dirt are things that help with the longevity of an engine. An Amsoil bypass filter removes dirt down to 1 micron in size. This could be added to any motor, even a truck or car engine.

I hope this info helps a bit

LWNMWRMN Banned

If it filters down to 1 micron it wouldn't get any oil thru it at all, a white blood cell is 8 microns and a red blood cell is 1.5 microns!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You'll all be happy to know that all Dixie Choppers are blood cell free! That includes those really small red ones too!!

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Keep in mind that some companies make more than one mower. MTD for example makes the Lesco Viper and the Cub Cadet Tank.
  6. Bryan

Bryan LawnSite Member

Mowin'man, yeah your not kidding, every major producer of mowers now have a ZTR. As I travel the country and attend shows, I have found that the best way to determine which is the best for you, is to talk with as many manufacturers as possible. Get as much literature as you can and read. Explore manufacturer warranty information. Who is giving you the most for the money ex.enigne HP, Hour meter, hydro cooling, best wheels, best built deck,controls etc. You may find that the most affordable is not always the best. Most of all make sure that the manufacturer has someone in your area,they carry parts and they are willing to provide an onsight demo for you or will allow you a certain demonstration period.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Look for a beefy frame,deck,and castors.Heavy duty cast iron spindles,and a deep deck for airflow.Loo kfor at least 8-9 gallons of fuel capacity if its got 20 or more Hp.I think these are just as important as the extra coolers on the engine,they are not essential,a good back bone(frame) is very essential.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I agree that a lot of people are trying to get some of the market.I believe some changes coming in quality in the future
    as more become available.WHEN THEY START SELLING THEM
    CHEAPER QUALITY MIGHT DROP.We are not talkin vcr here
    and you can only get a mower tough enough for commercial work ,by using top quality pts.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would think a dealer would know better than to say something like that. Before you get all the members laughing at me like I'm a stupid LCO that doesn't know nearly as much as dealers, read this. Amsoil By-pass filters are used on big diesel trucks to keep them running longer. It is called a 1 micron filter, but it says it will remove dirt particles as small as 1/10th of a micron in size. This is what is says about Amsoil By-Pass Filters on their site.

Oil Filters
    Engine wear is caused by dirt particles larger than 5 microns. The AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter removes particles as small as 1/10 of a micron, virtually eliminating engine wear.

BTW, a Dixie Chopper also has a normal oil filter on it too, to remove the larger particles of dirt which you change regularly. The Amsoil By-Pass filter is changed about once a year, depending on how many hours you put on them.

Here is the link to that information. http://www.amsoil.com/products/bf.html

The one laughing about all of this is me. :D
    I have used one for the past 6 seasons and my old Kohler is still running like new at 3,236 hours. I guess oil must go throgh that By-Pass filter or my old Kohler would be shot in 30 seconds.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Eric he didnt say it wouldnt handle oil cells just blood cells.So from now on just leave the blood out your engine.
    Presto problem solved.i guess:)