too much 2 cycle oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Jul 8, 2005.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What will happen, besides smoking, if a person adds 3 1/2 oz of 2 cycle oil to a gallon and another dummy (me :blush: comes along) and adds another approximately 2 oz to the mix before he is stopped?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

You'll just have a little more plug fouling, or if you can, just put the fuel mix in a bigger can, and add another gallon of gas to it to dilute the oil. hey, too much oil is by far better than too little oil.

3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

23:1

Not sure about your equipment but a 23:1 ratio might not be horrible. Some 2 strokes are 50:1 and others are 25 or 20:1.

What is your standard mix ratio for this equipment???????????

4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Most is 50:1. One older trimmer is 30:1.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

add another 1 &1/2 oz and another gallon of gas.Do not use it as it is now mixed.It is not good.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You may also plug up the exhaust port. I wouldn't worry about it! Like what was said above...too much is better than not enough.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

you went from 36:1 to 23:1 ratio. probably nothing will happen, your equipment may just run a little rich.

Take that gallon mix and pour half of it into another gallon container, then top off both containers with straight gas and you'll have a 46:1 mix. If this is too lean, to get it to 40:1 add .5 oz to each gallon container.

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

This guy I know told me to run 32:1 in my 2 cycles that are supposed to have 50:1. Is this good or bad?

9. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I've found that a 50:1 mix will stop up the mufflers on weedeaters and blowers. The Lawnboy push mower likes that much oil, but the weedeater and blower hate it. Took a flathead screwdriver and punch the muffler out on my old weedeater, ran awesome but was alittle too loud to use all day, and it never stopped up again with a 50:1 mix. Just my experiences. The guy I take my stuff to when it breaks told me I use the "cheap oil" and it puts out "ash" and that's what cloggs the mufflers. I used some good Stihl 2 cycle oil on the last batch of gas and when I put it in the weedeater and blower for the first time, they smoekd for about 5 minutes after being run then quit and have ran better, so I believe he is right.

10. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

Pour it in your truck and start over .I know that will work. :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: