1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too much $ 4 a Snapper hydro w/b????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here are the prices I have...

15 hp 48" floating deck $4,699

17 hp 48" floating deck $5,100

Aren't these prices a little high? I "think" the 15 hp is a Kohler single and the 17 hp is a Kwai twin. I'd rather have the twin if so. But the $5,100 seems a bit much....
  2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Do they Not sell Hustler where you live? Check out the Super Walkbehinds in the Manufactures Forum. Pistol grips are dinosaurs, the ECS is better, but in my opinion, nothing comes close to Hustler's aproach to the steering and direction control system. Sure they cost more than most, but the extra engineering that goes into these machine pay off in less down time, extended usable life, and probably the most determining factor, ergonomics which translates to less operator fatigue=more productivity. I think the other manufactures will soon be playing catch up to Hustler. I have not field tested a walkbehind with the controls. However I did try it at the dealer. It takes less effort than any other I've tried. Seems safer to operate.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, Envy those are about $400 high where i live.

Captken, I would hope envy goes with the loop handles.
  4. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds about right here in Evansville IN, I purchased a new Snapper Walkbehind in 93, fixed deck 52" Hydro with 16hp Vanguard, still runs great, back then i paid around 4200, But i priced them early this yr and they were the same price as my new 52 Scag, but the 93 has been one of the best mowers ive purchased in 13yrs, the exmarks and toros are nice to........Marks Mowing Service
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Thos prices are at least $1000 higher than I was told around here. Ask them to check there figgures again. That may be the MSRP. but dealers can usually do better.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

NO PISTOL GRIP. The loop steering is the best. Yes, that's way too high of a price for around here. They run about $4100 for a 48" hydro,14hp,loop steering,and floating deck.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks all, I thought that sounded like a bit much. I might have MSRP or a quote with tax included. I'll double check it when I get a chance.

Yes these prices are for the loop handle models. However, I didn't price the loop handle belt drive. Anyone have experience with these? Do the loops work like pistol grips or do you apply pressure to go and let off to stop?

Anyways, I would be interested in a Hustler as someone mentioned. But I don't have a dealer. Service and support after the sale is very important to me. This is what I ultimately used to narrow down the choices from all that is available out there.

My other choices are Husqvarna/Yazoo Kees and Great Dane. Reason being, lots of local support. There are several dealers in the surrounding area and the distributor for these products is also located within a reasonable distance.
  8. sounds like dealer list price.
    way to much for a snapper plus you dont know how much future snapper has now.The only real benefit of keeping snapper around is for there rear engine rider.the commercial division they were losing money.Now that they have been sold.It would be sound advice to waitOf the ones you mention I would choose great dane heads & tail above the one you mention