Too much compeition in your area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 7, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys out there have too much competition in your area?

Last week in our local newspaper ad there was approx under 5 ads for landscaping/lawn care.. I just looked into the newspaper today and BOOM, there pops up 13 new ads for lawn care / landscaping.. Only 2 ads are 1" in boxed shapes, the rest are 3 liner ads..

I'm beginning to wonder, I should start posting my ad again shortly but I'll be doing it 1" for 6 months..

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Bring on the compeition by fall i can buy mowers and trimmers dirt cheap.

3. alpine692003

lol, you mean when they go out of business?

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

10 new lco per year 9 selling out. This past fall i bought a 2000 eXmark turf tracer 48' for 600.00 with 400 hours on the mower

5. alpine692003

9 selling out? you mean losing business or not making money

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats exactly what he means 90% of businesses fail in the first year its not something that every one can do. And a lot of people lose everything best not to dwell on it.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Tons a competition!!! Ya jus gotta be better than the rest...It jus seems to fall into place after that....

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Over 200 licensed in my county alone! About another 100 or so without license.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Heck durring the winter we have at least 15 a week. durring the summer we have roughly 50 under gardening and they all say " Will mow yards and do odd jobs."

I put one under there last july that said " When you had the rest , please call cause I will be there with bill in hand."

Funny thing I put it in for a joke to one of the other LCO's, saying I could land at least one job from it (bet the price of the add). Heck I landed over 20 new jobs from it the first week and ran it again for three more weeks. after the second week I was begging the paper to take it out and keep the money.
    Goes to show you a simple joke will land your A$$ with a ton of work.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just thinking today that the Florida heat and humidity here probably do a lot to limit competition from those who aren't really serious about it. It's sweaty enough here in February. And it's probably good for business too, since a lot of folks don't relish spending an hour or two out in that heat and humidity on their own lawns.