Too much equipment???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Apr 19, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a solo guy with the exception that my dad helps out when he can after work. My equipment is as follows, 34 exmark phazer 32 wright stander 2 toro proline 21"s 1 snapper 21" 2 stihl fs85s 2 redmax eb ebz7001s redmax edger echo hedge trimmer and chain saw. Is that too much equipment or is it good to have extra stuff in case something breaks? Also I sold my echo pb403 to get the ebz redmax so my dad and me can now blow with power!! What's everyone think?
  2. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It seems like the stander and the exmark would fit the same purpose being close to the same deck size. If you think the equipment is worth keeping and holds up well, then I would keep it. If you go to sell it, you will never get what YOU think it is worth. Just get more business to justify the extra equipment.:clapping:
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's what I'm going to do this year.... Get more accounts! I have 35-40 residential and one commercial so far this year.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have two of almost everything, with a few exceptions...

And it seems like overkill until the day one of these pieces of equipment breaks down...
    Now you know, they never break down while on the trailer, instead it's always right in the middle of a job someplace.
    So now you have a spare.

Just watch your expenses now, all you gotta do.
  5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

NEVER TOO MUCH. I have a f450 dump truck, a f250 pick up, a 72" ferris 3100, a toro 62" Z255, a Toro 60" z555, a Walker 48" ghs, a toro 36" walkbehind with flex deck attachment, a snapper and crapsman 21" pushmowers 3 shindiawa 261 trimmers and 2 echo splitbooms with lots of attachments, a giant vac 18hp truck loader and billy goat 11hp truck loader, 2 shiniawa eb 630 blowers, a sthil 340 back pack blower, 25 hp and 65hp massey ferguson tractors, 7000# mini trackhoe, 2 18' 8000# trailers, a 14000# trailer and lots of other equipment, be here all day listing if you get my point. All this and solo operator (well usually) PS forgot to mention all the fertilizer and spray equipment:rolleyes:
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm mostly solo but do have a part-time employee. Well I have a JD 72" ztr, 2-JD 60" ztrs, JD 48" stand up ztr, 33" walk behind, 2- 21" push mowers. Numerous 2 cycles, Husky, Echo, Tanaka. I'm a equipment junkie.:rolleyes:
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! I don't see that as too much equipment.
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Do you enjoy having them? If so, it is not too much. When my wife complain, I told her just be thankful I am not into cars!!!!

It is always good to have backup equipment on your trailer, especially when you equipment starts to get a little old. When my Redmax 7001 went down last summer I had stop what I was doing & go out and buy a new one!!!
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Im solo too..I like to have two of all handhelds. As for mowers, I like two 21's, one 36" walkbehind, and a 48" quik trak.

My walkbehind and my quik trak back up each other. My 21's back up the 36.

I cant see having three of all handhelds, or two 36's... I believe you can have too much stuff. And not just lawncare stuff either. People today got TOO MUCH stuff.