Too Much Fertilizer??

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Grass Man, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

TOO MUCH FERTILIZER??

.... About two years ago we took a soil sample and found out we needed to sweeten up the soil some. So, we spread pelletized lime in the fields and that took care of most of the problem. Every year I put out a very large garden and in the process I would use the broadcast spreader on the tractor and spread about a bag or bag and a half of 10-10-10 fertilizer and as a rule we had a rambunctious growing garden. I would spread this fertilizer before turning it in in the fall and again in the spring just before planting. And as I said, we've always had a very good garden until this year. I am ashamed to admit we had a garden this year. Very few things grew well, most were VERY smaller in size than what they should have been. Since the season is over now and I have removed most of the dead and dried up plants we now have a large BROWN spot where the garden was and surrounded by this lush green well kept grass. I do NOT have that much experience with fertilizers but I think I used too much. Since the ground needed to be sweetened before, and we now have too much acidity in the garden, I am of the opinion I need to put a couple of bags of pelletized lime down to sweeten it up before turning it in for the winter. Is there someone out there that can speak from experience or could share their experiences :help: ?

Thanks

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get another soil test done to determine pH. I find it hard to believe that your normal, tried and true methods suddenly turned deadly. Did you switch products? Did you spill anything? What is underneath this spot? I had a long time customer who suddenly had a big, nasty, smelly dead spot in their back yard. Turned out to be their septic tank was installed improperly 40+ years ago. It literally floated to just below the surface of the turf. I have also seen old oil tanks do this.

3. Grass Man

.... Good point that you make UPIDSTAY. We did have our septic pumped this year but nothing unusual, tank did NOT overflow and no cracks or leaks. I did notice where one of the drain lines was NOT green and lush like it had been the year before but then again it was HOT this year and I did do my share of watering. I did notice today there is starting to show some green growth amongst the brown spot. And yes, I think you're right I will get another soil sample. If the soil sample doesn't show anything outstanding, I think I will go ahead with the spreading of the pelletized lime anyway. Anything else that you can think of since I posted?

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Again, do you know what's under that spot? A friend of mine runs a back hoe for a builder. He digs the holes for house foundations. He was quickly moved to another job once after he dug up a few dozen barrels of spent engine oil on an old farm. He has found old garbage pits, cars, trucks, name it. He even accidentally discovered the old family burial plot once. It could just be a patch of a fungus. If you sare starting to see growth, that is a good sign.

5. Grass Man

.... Thanks again Upidstay, No we do not know exactly what is under it. It had been farm land for many years and though it's possible there could be something buried there it's highly doubtful. The green growth (WEEDS) have doubled since yesterday and with each substantial rain fall (we had rain last night again). To give you some idea, we planted celery but it would get about three or four inches tall then die off and start to grow again and this has repeated itself about five or six times. When we received large amounts of natural rain and the weather got a little cooler, it is now growing to beat the band. I just hope it matures before hard frost hits. I did put a little liquid horse manure about half way through their growth on them but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Still scratching my head and hoping for a better year in 2007 :).

6. bobcat81

bobcat81 LawnSite Member

Grassman

Over the past 3 years I have put on probably 4 tons of ag lime to my garden. It is about 90x120. I us my tractor and pto spreader to do this. It has made a big difference. You can't get to much lime and the ag lime is so much cheaper if you have a way to spread it.

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

this is why a soil test is gelpful every couple of years. Just make sure to do it and the answers will be right there.

8. Grass Man

.... Thanks again Guys. I'll let you know how my growing season starts out :).