Too much fertilizer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wonderlyeric, Apr 25, 2007.

1. wonderlyeric

wonderlyeric LawnSite Member

I recently made the mistake of spreading fertilizer by hand. Now I have a spotty yard. Some areas are nice and dark green and some spots are lighter green, not quite dead but light green. I have done some deep watering over the past week. Do I need to reseed the light green spots or will they bounce back over time? I will use my spreader from now on, I just thought it might be easier to spread it by hand. Boy was I wrong.

2. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

I would think that the light spots need fert, and the dark ones got fed real good. get a fert with high iron and spread evenly across the yard. If you could apply chelated iron by itself that would be even better.

3. wonderlyeric

Here is a picture, the really light spot on the far right is my main concern, what do you think is it dead of dying?

New Yard 001.jpg

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

does any one else se elvis in the grass.....i think i might need some sleep, man it got hot today.......

5. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Looks like a simple mis-application, not dead or dying. The light areas didn't get fert. Get down real close and take a look. Is there a heavy concentration of fert on top of those light areas. Probably not. So it isn't burned. Just feed it with a high iron product. The iron will help it turn dark green. Don't over-apply, and apply evenly.

6. wonderlyeric

Thanks for the info, sorry for all the questions. Should I apply the high iron fert just to the areas that are light? Or to the whole lawn?

7. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Apply with a broadcast spreader over the entire lawn now and from now on and you'll see results.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Even before I read the post and looked at the pixs I thought it looked like it was done by hand. No Elvis, but maybe the 3 Stooges :laugh: