1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Too much for a F-150 to carry?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 19, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have measured, and I can just barely fit two Lesco 50 Gal spray rigs in the bed, side by side.

Additionally, I'd like to be able to carry around 20 bags (50 lbs ea) in the bed as well.

I was thiking of installing some leaf spring helpers to help keep it from sagging on the rear too much.

Anyone think this is insanely stupid to carry this much weight in an F-150?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that just the weight of the water (100 Gals @ 8lbs per gallon) with the additional 1000 lbs of bags is pushing the limit of an F-150 payload and you have not even figured the weight of the tanks, pumps and additional accessories that you would need to carry along. Check the manuals payload capacity of the truck, if you can stay under that and keep the load stable you might be okay, however I think you would be better off moving up to a 3/4 ton truck for carrying that much water and additional weight.

If you do not carry that many extra bags, may 10-15 bags instead of 20, you would probably be okay with some helper springs. If you decide to use the F-150, invest in heavier duty brakes to handle stopping that load on a regular basis.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That a lot of weight, I believe you would better off with a 3/4 or even 1 ton. Total load with supplies and equipment is close to 2500 LBS.

If you insist on using a 1/2 ton. Make sure the suspension, brakes, and tires are up to the job.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

There wouldn't be very many miles with the max weight. It is unlikely that both tanks would be full in the morning when they leave the shop with 20 bags of fert. We fill our 50 gal tanks at the client's house from their spiggot when the tank runs dry.

The price of a F-250 is MUCh more than the price of the F-150. I won't consider buying any more used work trucks. New only from here on out for me.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I know you said that the price of an F250 is much more than that of an F150, but let me ask you this...how much more are you going to have to pay if something goes horribly wrong with an over-loaded F150? Not only money, but you will be feel guilty the rest of your life if you hurt/kill someone.

6. LindblomRJ

The amount of miles is moot. The fact that the tanks are filled at the customers house is moot. The fact that there is more than enough weight with equipment and 1/2 ton of fertilizer to overload a F-150. I would assume the fert would be toward the back half the truck, putting most of the weight over the axle or behind the axle makes for a dangerous situation.

The 3/4 would be better for safety and a better investment in equipment for the task you are using it for.

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know you dont want to spend any more money but i would go with a 3/4 ton or even with a 1 ton duely because water is not a that stable of a load and if you have a blow out or something go wrong you are not depending on a single tire

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll be fine. Just beef up your leaf springs. Not only is your 150 strong enough to haul that load...just think of all the gas you'll be saving when you compare it to a 3/4 or 1 ton.

9. LindblomRJ

Your fuel savings will not that great. F-150 with a 5.4 or F-250 with 5.4 same motor, same power... 1 or 2 MPG difference.

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My 94 chevy 3500 srw got 7 mpg loaded(with an easy foot)...my dodge gets 14 mpg hauli the same load...add it up.