Too much for first cut of season now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, May 19, 2004.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

House is 25 min away each way. I did not see the yard, I just asked over the phone, he called at 9, and said he is leaving again tomorrow morning. I figured the guy must be desperate, so I decided that I would estimate it as to make a profit. He said 1/4 acre, hill with no grass in back, the hill could be a drop meaning the backyard would need to be 21" or it could be a slight incline. The front and some of the back is in the sun so it is not that thick, and the rest of the back is shady and very thick. I asked how tall and he quickly responded very tall. Since I dont need the work I gave a range of $75-125 and roughly $35 a week mowing. I know that is high but I do not feel like ruining a machine for $50. What do you all think.

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I learned a long time ago don't quote it 'til you see it.

3. dlandscaping

from mass

Yes, but in this area I would consider this high and so I felt safe as long as I go high and cover myself. I know the street, and the rough size of each yard. The guy was blown out of the water when I said the price to him.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

$35 a week and you have 50 minutes travel time....sounds a little low to me!

5. dlandscaping

from mass

Its 25 min from the house, 8 min from another clients house. I didnt want to do the weekly mowing, just wanted to make money off a one time cut.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

1.) If you have to give an estimate over the phone...don't.

2.) If there were no trees or gardens or what have you, I would have charged at least 45 bucks just to make the drive.

3.) I might be wrong here, but when it comes to heavy grass...like the kind that you see when they didn't mow much...last year. I charge about 75-85 an hour.

7. dlandscaping

from mass

Allright Highgrass, Ill use those numbers to go by. What part of mass are u in, Im in worcester, this person lived in auburn.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Amherst Area.

I have done about 3-4 jobs this year where people called me and said that their lawns didn't get much attention last year and would I give them a bid.

One was about twenty minutes from where I live. The irony is he works in your neck f the woods but lives in Hadley. I told him that if he did not approve the bid, I would need to charge him a 15 dollar bid fee becasue of the drive. He was cool with that. Anyway, when I got there this guy has maybe 1-1/4 acres and it hasn't seen a mower in a least a year. Luckily, the new stuff still hasn't come up. I figured 2.5-3 hours tops. I bid 225 and he gave me a thumbs up. It took me just over 2 hours to finish. I also got the bid for regular cutting at 45 bucks a clip.
    It's probably 20 minutes from my house if I'm not hitting any other accounts on the way.
    Luckily, he agreed to Thrusday which is when i do another couple of lawns ten minutes from him.

Good Luck.

9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

All depends if you can afford to make $50 cutting his lawn or losing an unknown amount of money because this lazy dude hasn't cut his grass since last September, his Murry can't cut it and you just blew up a spindle or something worse on your machine cause you ran over a chain link fence or something you didn't see in his hayfield that he calls a lawn..

If you go there and mow this dudes overgrown lawn, from what I've seen, good luck getting paid.. He'll call some other dude now probably in July, tell him how his previous lawn guy "just stopped showing up" and can you mow it? He won't pay the July guy, he'll call for 1 last cut in September and say that he'll take care of the leaves himself..

3 cuts a year, total spend $0, only 3 pissed off LCO's who won't bother going after him for anything cause it's small money overall......

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto.