1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Much Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sky King, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

The grass has really started growing with all the rain we have been haveing, what do you guys do about all the clipings, ( I have a side discharge ) I try going back over to mulch it, that has been working OK but now it is getting to be to much grass, and it takes a lot more time. :eek:
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Send the rain here! We run mulch kits on all the mowers which eliminates the problem. Have your tried a OCDC?
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

One thing I do is alternate the direction that I discharge the clippings so I don't have to double cut to cut the clippings twice.

Do a perimeter cut blowing clippings in.
    Then do a cut down the center blowing left.
    Then a cut down the middle blowing right.

Then on the side that you blew left last time blow right this time and the same with the side blown right the first time.

Or you can skip row cut running north to south then cut normal east to west. Sort of like couble cutting but with 50% less passes in one direction. Helps reduce bogging alot and helps to reduce particle size.

I also use the blower to disperse the clippings when done.
    good luck.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I say just cut the whole thing, this way they all dry a bit...then re-cut if necessary. Now, there are a few different methods that work differently with different turf condition, with different mowers. With the Lazer, I do a few things differently if I know I will be double cutting (doesn't take that long for 2nd cut). For regular conditions that are dry, I sometimes just mow, trim the place out. This does two things. 1. it gets all the long grass that will trimmed around the trees and stuff out into the lawn area to be mulched. 2. It allows time for the grass to dry, making the second cut better to disperse. On the second cut, if it's a bit heavy, raise the deck 1/2 to 1" higher than the cut height. This will make your clippings disappear.
    The other thing I do, if it is thick conditions or slightly wet, is I cut my borders at my target height. I then raise the mower up however far so that I am cutting JUST OVER 50% of my cutting height off (the majority). So, if I go into a lawn that is say 7" high, and I'm cutting it at 3" (actual height), my borders are cut at 3", then the mower is moved up to about 4 1/2", maybe 4 1/4, mowed, then dropped back down to actual height after borders are quickly cleaned off again. Now, the reason I cut the borders at actual height first, is to keep them from getting matted over if I was to go over them at a higher height. Now, in EXTREME conditions, I have done the borders with the deck all the way up. You have to play with it a little bit to see what works for your mower and your cutting conditions. Taking it down in increments DOES work well, though.
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

do you guys charge double if you have to double cut?
  6. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

never too much grass for us as LCO its like saying too much green stuff in the bank... payup payup
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Now that all depends. is it in need of a double cut because you were slow to get there? then no

does it need double cut because they want EOW service then fertilized and watered the crap out of it? YES Charge at least double then get weekly service

Are they on a yearly (weekly cut) contract? then no. you should have known that when you bid.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Not double but sometimes an extra charge. Iif they are year round no extra. If they are eow then maybe extra if its really bad. Say its a 50 buck lawn then I may charge 10 or 15 extra if it takes me 15 min to run over it again due to excessive growth.

Grass has been insane here. 2 churches I'm doing twice a week right now. Took 8 inches off 2 lawns last thursday. Going to call em and tell them I'm coming again this week because they are EOW customers and its just growing too fast right now.