1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Much Money!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerrys Lawn Service, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Has this ever happened to any of you guys, we go over to do an estimate at a lady's lawn today and she tells us she wants her yard cut every week and I tell her that it will cost her $30 and she says I'll give you $35. Who am I to argue? The yard was only going to take us 20-25 min any way.
    Some people just have to much money!

Jerrys Lawn Service
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar thing happen twice last year. One guy was paying 30 a week and all of a sudden he starts paying 35. He still pays 35 to this day. Then another guy pays 35 and he usually just gives me 40 and says "Keep the change".

Gotta like it!
  3. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I wish I could find a few customes like that. Mine are usually the opposite.
  4. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hey Richard, it must be a Maryland thing!
  5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Does this guy wear a red hat and live with some raindeer? LOL
    Jim L
  6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Does she have any relatives out here n michigan!!! I need some customers like that. lol

I think that is a great customer to have and you should take care of them aextra special and maybe even ask them for refferals and they would probably go out of their way to help you. Most generous people want you to be happy and in return take good care of them also. This is what one of my cutomers did and they like to be thanked and appreiciated thats all. Nice to see good customers.

7. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i messed up a deal like that last year .he was a weekly serviced customer who always through me 5 tip so it was like geting 35.00 the whole summer i did him.. and then he asked me to power wash his deck i told him i dont do that but my friend that was there said he would.guess what he never should up to do it i lost those fives .

B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member
    from nc

i told a lady i would mow her yard for 25 and she told me no way i will pay you 40 i said yes mam good cust to this day
  9. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

I charge one of my customers $35 per week and at the end of the season she always says thank you and tacks-on $150 to the bill. I wish even one or two of my other customers would do this!!!!
  10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had one lady who agreed to let me do the lawn for $30/wk. After I cut it the 1st time, she paid me $40, and every season increased by $5/wk. She also sent a card at Christmas with $50 the first year, and $100 each year since. Last year she got a divorce and had to move. I miss her. :(

I have several (15 or so) who send anywhere from $50-$100 at Christmas, some tip at Easter and Thanksgiving also.