too much mulch??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by two-niner, Mar 14, 2002.

1. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

Is it possible to put down too much mulch around shrubs, trees, etc. in a landscape? In other words, if there is already a couple of inches of mulch from last year in a landscape and I put down another 2, 3, or even 4 inches on top of that, would it be bad for the shrubs or just unnecessary in general?

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Too much mulch is a bad thing around trees and shrubs. You should be able to see the flair of the trunk of the tree at the soil line and no mulch should be touching the actual trunk. Deep mulch promotes disease and pest injury since the trunk would stay moist. Also, too much mulch can prevent adequate moisture from reaching the root zone of the shrubs. Often people will swear that they have watered an area. I will pull away the damp mulch to reveal bone-dry soil below. Then comes the lesson in proper watering. The normal recommendation is for 2-3" of mulch. Sometimes, winter protection will require more mulch during the coldest months.

3. Commander

Commander Banned

If you have 4-6 inches of mulch or more you have a problem. There are a few occasions though where you would want the 4-6 inches of mulch (possibly more) but not for landscape (aesthetic) purposes.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lanelle makes a couple of good points. And most customers don't realize that too much mulch is worse than having too little around trees and shrubs. Too much mulch prevents nutrients, air, and water from getting to the root zone.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys forgot to add root rot may occur with to much mulch.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, thanks Joshua.

7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

just read and article that 4in+ around a tree can cause root rot.

jf

8. site

site LawnSite Member

We call it mall mulching- You know when each tree has an 18" tall pile stacked up around the trunk. I tell the guys if the tree trunk is shaped like a trumpet you did it right. If the trunk looks like a phone pole try again. In other words dont bury the root flares.

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We call those 'mulch volcanos' .

10. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I have have heard that mulch should not be touching the trunk of your trees or shrubs. This can promote the presence of burrowing bugs & beetles.